X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logunner
    replied
    Finished planting main crop spuds along with 75 parsnips and 300 autumn king carrots.

That may be the last of it all depends on the local authority decision

Leave a comment:

• Bonjour
    replied
    Finally got round to planting my onion sets. Got most of them in the allotted space but am left with a part-bag of Sturon to find a home for. I would stick them in with the carrots to try and confuse the Carrot Fly, but the carrots are going in a known White Rot affected area, so that's out. If all else fails, I might stick them in between some of the others and take them as immature onions for salad.

Leave a comment:

• Logunner
    replied
    Started my £25 new to me hobby 400 rotovator, she’s a peach.. fresh petrol and 3 pulls and off she goes.

Planted 2nds and maincrop, still some to do.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Planted my freesia corms in three containers in the greenhouse.
    Added supports for the sweetpeas that now need to be planted out,
    Weeding and tidying.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Planted my new sour cherry tree.

Dug over two more patches for the dwarf mulberry and black raspberry I bought over the winter.

Leave a comment:

• Mark Rand
    replied
    This morning I topped the pocket handkerchief lawn for the first time this year. It'll get trimmed a bit more at the end of the week and then moss killered halfway through next week if the weather hasn't gone berserk. I'm not sure that it's the ideal sequence, but it's what is likely to happen.

Took the tops off the propagators in the greenhouse today and removed the lights off the low temperature one. This evening, I not only put the tops back on, but powered up the thermostat for the greenhouse heater for the night for the plants outside the propagators.
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 23-03-2020, 12:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baldy
    replied
    Cleared a raised bed and chucked in onion sets. Rebuilt a door on the pollygreentunnel thing. Slight sunburn

Leave a comment:

• Bonjour
    replied
    Checked the temperature of the muck in my hotbed and found it had dropped just below 30 c, so I then sifted a load of topsoil and added about a 6" layer on top of the muck and put the lid back on to let it warm the soil. I'll soon be planting out my sweet potato plants in there and a watermelon or two, once they germinate.

Also, I cleared up the bed behind my greenhouse, forked it over, added fb&b and planted 3 varieties of shallots. Then I sowed a short row of Sutton broad beans, spinach for baby leaf and sowed Northern Lights leeks in a pot for planting out later.

Oh, and finally, I got the tractor out and delivered a trailer load of horse 5h1t to a neighbour for his garden.

Leave a comment:

• roitelet
    replied
    Cut the grass, all 2,500 sq meters of it!!! Can’t have my usual grass cutters I because of the virus

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Cleared and then dug the small patch where I plan to plant my new sour cherry tree. This was more work than it sounds, as it was where I was storing my stacks of roof tiles, my canes, and other assorted junk.

Laid cardboard mulch around the newly-weeded goji berry.

Weeded the raspberry bed.

Leave a comment:

• bikermike
    replied
    Today: very little
    Yesterday: planted out final spuds, took 2 wheelie green bins to the compost heap and built a new bay on the compost heap

Leave a comment:

• happyhumph
    replied
    Cleaned out the greenhouse, emptied pots on to veg beds, swept, tidied up etc. Hoping tomorrow to fill pots with fresh compost from heaps and maybe even sow something!

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Originally posted by Plot28 A&B View Post
    NB: interesting watching who took precautions with the gate locks, gloves and gel everywhere but a lot of people just carried on as normal. Had a worrying email from the town council saying they may shut the plots.
    Using hand sanitiser or gloves for gates and locks on an allotment seems rather an overreaction, to be honest.
    You can't catch it just by touching a contaminated surface. You need to touch the surface and then transfer the virus to a facial orifice. And seeing as it's an allotment so your hands are going to be muddy, anyway, it seems very unlikely you would be touching your mouth, nose or eyes. And, again, because your hands will be dirty, anyway, you'll always be washing your hands when you return home, in any case.

Leave a comment:

• Jungle Jane
    replied
    I was tidying up & there’s this old bit of furniture I didn’t know what to do with,there’s no space for it here inside but there is space outside,it’s a 9” deep planter now I just need to paint it in a minute,I don’t know what to do with the old linen basket yet but the canvas cotton thing looks like planter pockets inside,it’s got three compartments. This is what I’ve done so far,you can see it was easy to do,I just put the wood from the top & base onto the sides -
    Click image for larger version

Name:	C8325A07-7409-45F4-90AF-E7FAC483073D.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	2386656 Click image for larger version

Name:	12BD7039-D0B5-45D9-B815-E47088469A42.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	2386657

Leave a comment:

• Can the Man
    replied
    I have a lot of weeding to do tomorrow, might just take the rotovator out and plough through them. Have some leeks to lift as I need the ground space, so I reckon it will be leek and spud soup and cock a leeky pie tomorrow

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X