• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• woodlouse
    replied
    Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    CFB = Climbing French bean
    Oh, that makes sence, now it's explained. Glad it's not some covert gardening opperation with a dislike of fava beans, which I can see now sounds somewhat silly.

But genuinely... and asking as a "noob", is there a list of gardening short terms that you all use here, and people like me can read up on, or go to an index? Often it's universal, but sometimes it can be forum-centric. Just wondering.

Cleaned up the scratches on my arms...
    Okay, I feel I want to know. I'm not saying I need to know, but of my few interactions on this forum so far, you seem to have been in there and giving me good vibes. I've also read a lot of posts before signing up.

It would be fun for me to know the reason for the scratches on your arms. Maybe not a fun experience for you, at that time - or even going forward - but I'm a sucker for imagining things in my head. Is it the chatting with the chook? What did you say?

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished shredding my cherry prunings. I now have about one cubic metre of shreddings, along with a pretty sizeable stack of logs, and two sacks of various snags and offcuts too thick to shred but too thin to use as logs.
    The logs I shall give away at some point, and the snags will go down the tip once they reopen.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Well look at that - you wait for minutes for your post to appear and then there are 2 of them.

The Vine is making up its own rules today and they're rubbish ones!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied

Today was Fruity Tuesday so I donned some thick clothing and plunged into the Prickly Corner where the Gooseberries and thorny things live.
    Planted 3 more gooseberry bushes,
    tied in some drooping prickly brambley canes,
    dug up lots of hogweed which has self seeded from last year because I was too slow nipping off the seed heads
    Topped up the tadpole water
    Chatted to the chook
    Cleaned up the scratches on my arms
    Planted 3 more Beth Alpha cucumbers in GH No.1
    Ate some peapods
    Enjoyed the sunshine
    Puzzled over 3 saplings that look like apple trees but there's no graft - so, have they grown from manky apples or did I jab in a cutting? Watch this space!

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied

Today was Fruity Tuesday so I donned some thick clothing and plunged into the Prickly Corner where the Gooseberries and thorny things live.
    Planted 3 more gooseberry bushes,
    tied in some drooping prickly brambley canes,
    dug up lots of hogweed which has self seeded from last year because I was too slow nipping off the seed heads
    Topped up the tadpole water
    Chatted to the chook
    Cleaned up the scratches on my arms
    Planted 3 more Beth Alpha cucumbers in GH No.1
    Ate some peapods
    Enjoyed the sunshine
    Puzzled over 3 saplings that look like apple trees but there's no graft - so, have they grown from manky apples or did I jab in a cutting? Watch this space!

Leave a comment:

• woodlouse
    replied

Sowed some Python and Cobra CFBs...
    Snakes aside, what are CFB's?

Had a little chat with the tadpoles.
    Huzzah! Hands down the most endearing thing I've read today.

-----------------------------------------------

I managed to do the following...

- Re-filled the birdie feeders and water bath, and threw mashed potato scraps up on the shed roof (targeted the big mossy patches so the lumps stayed up there - I'm getting quite good at my aim and technique. )

- Washed all the remaining pots and trays from last year and laid them out in the sun to dry off.

- re-potted guava, pepino, goji and sea buckthorn seedlings (more of an ongoing thing for next year).

- Topped a few of my chili plants to encourage better lower growth, but made sure to only do one of each variety to learn from my own experience.

- Allowed my cat into the greenhouse and laid out some hessian bags under a table for her to lounge on and enjoy the sun and warmth. Also kept an eye on her so she didn't check out the raised beds on the other side and do the old dig and poop thing.

- Sowed some mizuna and white mustard.

- Liberally applied what was left of an old tin of brick and mortar rain resistant solution I found to the wooden step-up of my greenhouse. Might as well give it a shot.

- Cleaned out my chimenea/mini grill in anticipation of enjoying smoked snacks during summer, and hopefully a mass of various smoked peppers with all sorts of fillings come late summer/early autumn.

Not a bad sunny lockdown day, all in all.

Leave a comment:

• veggiechicken
    replied
    Planted out 10 Wizard Field beans, I'd been testing for viability - they were.

Sowed some Python and Cobra CFBs - very snakey.

Cleared some more of the GH ready for the toms.

Had a little chat with the tadpoles.

Picked 6 pea pods and popped the peas into my mouth.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Finished shredding the first half of the cherry prunings. The sack of prunings from yesterday is starting to decompose already. I stuck my hand in and it was hot.

Finished pollarding the cherry tree. That was an ordeal. Trying to saw branches off whilst sat in a tree isn't easy.
    I now have even more stems to shred than last time, plus a big pile of logs.

Also potted up a lot of the seeds I had been sprouting.
    3 more Swift sweetcorn
    2 more Galeux d'essynes squash
    5 winged bean
    6 Enorma runner bean (the rest went putrid)
    12 Spagno Bianco runner bean
    9 butter bean
    15 Coco blanc french bean
    14 Bijou mangetout.

Leave a comment:

• Can the Man
    replied
    Planted our and netted my brussel sprouts, and spring cabbage.

Tried post a photo but couldn’t will try edit the post later

Click image for larger version

Name:	81DDBED6-9084-4025-8370-DDEA06AD4946.jpeg
Views:	2
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	2387050
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Can the Man; 20-04-2020, 07:13 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Starch
    replied
    Planted some butternut squash in the polytunnel, planted a bed of mangetout peas and a bed of spinach. Put some ground cover over the area I cleared last month as it's sprouting everywhere and i'm not ready to plant out the wild flower meadow yet. Sowed French beans, courgettes and peppers from the seed swap, thanks again, in heated GH.

Leave a comment:

• bramble
    replied
    Potted up 10 of my tomatoes into their final containers.

Leave a comment:

• Peppermint
    replied
    Sorted out the strawberry beds in the polytunnel.

Planted the peas grown in the root trainers at the base of the pea trellises in the poly tunnel. Draped fleece around them to try and stop the sparrows from picking at them.

Sowed beans (Slenderette and Blue Lake) in root trainers.

Hubbie has built four more raised beds so far this year so today I popped some more potatoes in one of them.
    Last edited by Peppermint; 20-04-2020, 05:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MartinRSharpe
    replied
    For yesterday

Finished snapping/removing the screws that hold the greenhouse to its old base (more rust than screw) and moved the frame to its new base.

Discovered there is a slight lip on the front base piece that goes into the ground which means I need a groove grinding out of the base for the bit by the door to sit in. Fortunately only 1 paving slab, unfortunately I appear to be missing all the masonry cutting disks for the angle grinder so that will have to wait until the nice Mr Delivery Man turns up with some.

General clean up and sort of the contents of the greenhouse as it had turned into a bit of a dumping ground of late.

Leave a comment:

• ameno
    replied
    Shredded the purple sprouting plants I pulled out yesterday, and shredded about two-thirds of the cherry branches I cut off. Do the rest tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• Stan79
    replied
    Re-felted the middle shed roof and re-ran the guttering as it’s never worked that well. Whoever built the shed built it on a wonky concrete base so the guttering has to be at what looks like an extreme angle just to be level, let alone drain into the water butt.

Washed out the water butt on that shed for the first time in 8 years. It was surprisingly clean.

Drained the other two water butts on the other sheds with the intention of cleaning them out but ran out of time!

Dug out around the base of the top shed where the soil has built up against the timber and has started to rot it!!!

Checked my thermometers as the one of them (in the greenhouse) seemed a bit off. And sure enough it is!

I put two tomato plants in the greeenhouse yesterday to see how they’d fair overnight And they’re fine! So I’ll be gradually starting to plant up the greenhouse this week!

Moved the plants around in the potting shed.

Had a bit of a tidy up between the sheds where I normally dump random odds and sods.

Had lunch and dinner in the garden.

All in all, a lovely day.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X