Beetroot trial

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot trial

One of our favourite things I grow over the allotment is beetroot. As different varieties have different flavours and colourations, We have decided on a taste trial.

Five of each variety all grown in the same bed.

Each given an overall mark out of 10.

Boltardy - 5
    Choggia - 2
    Moulin Rouge - 4
    Red Hawk - 6
    Betollo - 9

We still have a number of varieties to try but they were sown later....so far Betollo is our favourite
    Mod with attitude!

Thanks GL.
    I found Chioggia to be very disappointing - doesn't even look as nice as the seed packet photo. I've stopped growing that one.
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
    @realveggiechicken

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      Thanks GL.
      I found Chioggia to be very disappointing - doesn't even look as nice as the seed packet photo. I've stopped growing that one.
      I made the mistake of making beetroot and apple chutney using Chioggia it turned out an unappetising pale pink colour resembling the luncheon meat I used to eat as a kid

Comment

I find the best flavour to be from the darkest, reddest beetroots. Orange, white, Chioggia etc just don't have it.
        Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
        By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
        While better men than we go out and start their working lives
        At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I haven't had much luck with beetroot the last two years, probably because I'm the only one that likes it, and I don't prioritise it. I complimented a fellow plot holder on his crop and he promptly pulled me a handful.

Took 'em home, roasted them in their skins, peeled and chopped for the freezer for my lunches. Slightly reduced portion sizes, because one or two pieces fell into my mouth by accident.

I nearly wept, they tasted so good!

Comment

I can now add to the list....Titan....6
            Mod with attitude!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X