Ideas for a vegetarian dinner

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for a vegetarian dinner

I have a couple coming for dinner inbetween Christmas and the new year....they are both vegetarians. I'm not a huge meat eater but I eat lots of fish but fish is off too....struggling to think of a starter and main course. I'm not keen on pasta but will do it if I get a recipe that really takes my fancy.....I'll dig out my pasta machine

https://www.vegsoc.org/christmas/chr...ecipe-overview
    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
    https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
    @realveggiechicken

Comment

My MiL is veggie.....when it suits so the OH does mushroom and goats cheese parcels for her
      Mod with attitude!

Comment

Do you use filo pastry for the parcels? I love goats cheese and beetroot but discounted it be cause I often do a cheese course - I suppose I could miss it out. All of us will go meat free, my OH will moan but he doesn't need meat every day!

Comment

I'm 110% carnivore but I do love a veggie lasagne. Soup starter ? There are some lovely veggie soup recipes. But I like this one
          spring onion soup recipe, how to make onion soup recipe | easy recipe
          https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

Comment

Lovely link VC! May manage to do some little nibbles too....love cooking different stuff.

Comment

Depends on how fancy you want to get. I've been looking at vegetarian festive dishes. Loads of them seem to be based on mushrooms. You might find they wouldn't mind something else.

Do they eat eggs or cheese?

If so, Delia has some good recipes for twice-baked soufflés, meaning you can cook them in advance and then rebake just before eating. Very handy.

Small savoury galettes (tomatoes, asparagus, that kind of thing) are also lovely. Not quite as heavy as a quiche.

Plus, Delia also has a recipe for lentil moussaka that always goes down well here. Looks impressive, though you might find the topping a bit similar to the soufflé if you decide to go down that route. You can make the lentil part in advance and then reheat while making the topping before bunging the whole thing in the oven.
              https://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/...icotta-topping

Another option that is more work on the day but looks lovely is a Greek courgette and feta filo pastry pie. If you make a round one, you end up with a lovely flower-like effect on top with the scrunched up filo. If you decide to make cheese soufflés for starters but like the sound of the pie, Nigella has this version:
              https://www.nigella.com/recipes/cour...k-pea-filo-pie
              Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

Thanks SP, I can eat fish everyday, not fussed on lots of meat dishes but I always steal everyone's bones and I always fancy trying a butchery course......and I'm having goose legs tonight's!
                Last edited by Scarlet; 20-12-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

snoop, good suggestions ...Ive made Delias Roquetfort twice baked soufflé- that is delicious!

Comment

If you want to do a cheese course, how about a vegan main course?
                    https://www.vegansociety.com/resourc...cial-occasions
                    A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
                    https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
                    @realveggiechicken

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                      Do you use filo pastry for the parcels? I love goats cheese and beetroot but discounted it be cause I often do a cheese course - I suppose I could miss it out. All of us will go meat free, my OH will moan but he doesn't need meat every day!
                      Yes filo pastry
                      Mod with attitude!

Comment

Ok not a recipe as such but an idea for a starter, or you could increase ingredients for a main .

vegetarian puff pastry, three table spoons of rice(wild or easy cook which ever you prefer, small leek five biggish open cup mushrooms (the fins looking black if you can) four cardamom seeds teaspoon of fennel seeds.

Cook rice in water and allow to cool. Finely slice the white bit of the leek and cook gently in olive oil until translucent,after five minutes add three open cup mushrooms that have been finely sliced or as thin as you can get them. This mixture should be cooked after about 15 minutes but don't let it dry out but don't add too much as mushrooms suck up the oil and later drop it. Allow them to cool(have a drink or three). crush the cardamom pods and get rid of the feathery outside. You should have little black seeds in the mortar, add the fennel seeds and get to work with the pestle and crush the seeds. Mix the cooled ingredients in a bowl with the crushed seeds and bit of salt and pepper if you wish. Roll out the pastry and make yourself some vegetarian rolls, as long as you need them. They should be cooked at 160 C for about 30 mins but keep an eye on them (read the cooking instructions for the puff pastry is best).

chop up the remaining mushrooms and white bit of leek and place in a sauce pan with olive oil and cook slowly. When translucent add a dessert spoon of flour, salt and pepper continue to cook and stir for a few minutes. Then add a small amount of crushed fennel seeds. Depending on how your guests feel you can add full cream milk or coconut cream and stir to the thickness you require. Serve by pouring the sauce over the rolls and add a small green salad.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                          I'm 110% carnivore but I do love a veggie lasagne. Soup starter ? There are some lovely veggie soup recipes. But I like this one
                          spring onion soup recipe, how to make onion soup recipe | easy recipe
                          I'm with you on this one. Veggie lasagne is my favourite veggie meal. The soup is reminicent of leek and tattie soup, which i also like.
                          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How about some kind of pie or puff pastry parcels with veg for main course?
                            Red onion, balsamic and goats cheese tart, quiche, cheese and onion, leek and onion, roasted mediterranean veg
                            Or if you fancy something more informal, pizza and salad?

Comment

A friend gave us chestnut soup the other day....chestnut purée, cream and nutmeg...literally that and it was absolutely delish...served with a chunk of homemade seedbread.
                              Brill seasonal starter!
                              Baked whole Camembert with fresh veg to dip into it
                              Bouncing off that idea...do you have a fondu set hiddenaway somewhere....for a cheese fondu?
                              Roasted veg with feta sprinkled over the top.
                              A selection of veg/vegan curries?
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X