Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snoop to make you feel better, once I was tipping my sourdough into the Dutch oven and caught it on the side The loaf didn’t really pick back up and was misshapen and dense.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• ^I've done that before, and more than once... It was why I opted to get the dome I use. Much easier to get it on what is little more than a plate.

I tried to look on the positive side yesterday: at least the dough hit the peel and not the floor.

Comment

• Made some sourdough crackers using this recipe from King arthur’s Site. I add oregano because that goes well with cheese.

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/reci...rackers-recipe

Comment

• Goodness, they're neat Bren. I imagine I'll have all kinds of rough small bits and triangles at the edges when I get around to making them. Thinking tomorrow might be a go-er.

Edit: I've just read the comments below the recipe. One person recommends using a pasta machine to roll the dough out. Brilliant. I never get things evenly rolled, but that might help.
          Last edited by Snoop Puss; 16-07-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Snoop used a rolling pin then cut the crackers with a pizza wheel that seemed to make neater cut than a knife. The amount in the photo is half the mix the other half of the uncooked dough went in the freezer.

Comment

• Brilliant. Hadn't thought of freezing uncooked dough. That makes baking them easier.

Have got a poolish going to make King Arthur's sourdough English muffins. Have to make a poolish as I don't have enough discard (none at all, in fact). I hope the fact that it's newly started won't make much difference. Also, wanting to make 30% of the flour strong wholemeal. Have you got any views or tips?

Edited to add: am aware will need to alter hydration level if using wholemeal for some of the flour.
              Last edited by Snoop Puss; 18-07-2020, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Let me know how they turn out I've not made sourdough muffins yet.

Comment

• ^Bit small is the answer. I think a cutter bigger than 3 inches is required. I ended up with 35 when rolled out half an inch thick. I'd go for a bigger cutter and maybe not roll them out quite so thin. Cooked them on a cast-iron griddle and it took me forever to get through them. Could also halve the recipe. I've seen recommendations for cooking them in a covered frying pan and I might try that next time as well, as it might speed things up by keeping the heat in.

Also, as I started with a poolish, next time I'll just give the mixture longer to rise and not use any yeast as the dough went a bit bonkers when the yeast went in and I only put in half the amount specified.

Other than that, they taste delicious and the texture is good. Glad I added the wholemeal as I like the flavour.

Baked another sourdough loaf as well. Delicious. Gets the thumbs up from Mr Snoop for looks too.

Next thing to try is crumpets. With them, muffins, wheat tortillas and frying pan naan, I reckon I can keep up with bread requirements even if I don't want to put the range on.

Edited to add: This is a new website to me but I might try these (he also has some tasty Welsh rarebit-flavoured sourdough crumpets that sound good): https://bakingfanatic.wordpress.com/...ough-crumpets/
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 19-07-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• Is this sourdough malarky easy?

I've got the Sourdough School Cook book (It was a pressie when I finished work) and its something I've always fancied doing as I'm diabetic and 'normal bread' is on the bad list for me but there is one type of wheat (Khorosan or Kamut) that is supposedly has a low GI) and others flours like buckwheat and spelt are better and I do have a weaknes for a sarnie or toast.

I do like sour dough anyway not sure if anyone else does in the house but I'm sure they'll come around and I fancy having a go ... 2022 the year I become a master baker ... think I spelt (see what I did there )that right
                    ntg
                    Never be afraid to try something new.
                    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                    A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                    ==================================================

Comment

• Nick once you've got an active starter its easy after that, think of it as a pet that lives in your fridge and needs feeding

Comment

• Originally posted by Bren In Pots View Post
                        Nick once you've got an active starter its easy after that, think of it as a pet that lives in your fridge and needs feeding
                        oh god ... I'm not grown up enough to be in charge of a living thing

I'll sort out a couple of jars to keep it in then and have a go.

Thanks Bren In Pots
                        ntg
                        Never be afraid to try something new.
                        Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                        A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                        ==================================================

Comment

• My starter went horrible over the summer and Mr Snoop wasn't keen on me reviving it just in case. I tried again over the summer, but I guess it was too hot and it wasn't a success. Either that or my flour was a bit too old. Anyway, I'm starting again this weekend. So good luck to the pair of us, NtG.

Comment

• Snoop I gave some of my starter to a friend of MrPots not sure what he did but 3 days later it was black and mouldy.
                            He’d kept it on a windowsill I can only think it was either to hot or he’d not used a clean jar.
                            All the best with your new starter.

Comment

• ^Thanks. Personally, I think it was retrievable but Mr Snoop really didn't like the look of it (it was grey on the surface). And there's no point baking bread if he's not going to eat it. Anyway, I've just got some fresh organic whole rye to start me off again. Part of the problem is that I've found some yeasted loaves that Mr Snoop really loves. But I've now found a starter calculator for converting recipes, so should be able to turn them over to sourdough as well.

Comment

• Snoop I still buy fresh yeast from my corn merchant to make bread cobs ( rolls) made a batch of 27 yesterday for the freezer. I’ve never got around to using starter for them not even sure why.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X