This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northepaul View Post
    Hmmm I fed it yesterday evening although its not fizzy, or sour smelling and the water keeps separating....just have to learn some patience I guess....!
    Mine separated at first so I stirred the liquid in not sure if it was the right thing to do though. I baking another loaf today but its slow to rise so it might be near bed time before it gets in the oven.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

well done everyone...this is getting exciting! ok, my update:
      made another loaf, airholes brilliant but, er, forgot to put salt in. so not popular on home front. looked beautiful though, and I liked it...took pic but can't work out how to put it on here, grr.
      then (yep not sourdough but still) made Dan Lep BAGELS! oooh yes. and they were FANTASTIC. give them a try, team.
      Now trying Riv Cot loaf (granary, fact fans) with a dollop of starter chucked in there too. love how they look with the slashes and the topping.
      And...my obsession has become so bad that the other day I tracked down a couple of big unglazed quarry tiles to put in my oven. largely b/c am fixated, not b/c will make much difference, I suspect, but bear with...
      Bren, Northe (btw what IS yr name? are you North E Paul? always want to know!) - how are you doing?
      any lurkers want to join in? we could start posting bits in jiffy bags...

Comment

made another loaf, airholes brilliant but, er, forgot to put salt in. so not popular on home front. looked beautiful though, and I liked it...took pic but can't work out how to put it on here, grr.
        then (yep not sourdough but still) made Dan Lep BAGELS! oooh yes. and they were FANTASTIC. give them a try, team.
        Now trying Riv Cot loaf (granary, fact fans) with a dollop of starter chucked in there too. love how they look with the slashes and the topping.
        And...my obsession has become so bad that the other day I tracked down a couple of big unglazed quarry tiles to put in my oven. largely b/c am fixated, not b/c will make much difference, I suspect, but bear with...
        Bren, Northe (btw what IS yr name? are you North E Paul? always want to know!) - how are you doing?
        any lurkers want to join in? we could start posting bits in jiffy bags...
        oh and ps have made own proving basket with ancient linen cloth inside a bowl. will it work? who knows? but it's another toy...

Comment

After baking bread a couple of times a week I've found its more of a challenge to get a sourdough loaf right. Tis fun though

Anyway heres a photo of a raffia basket I'd got around the house and lined it after seeing the link Thea posted now its my proving basket plus a one of the Dutch oven I'm using to bake my loaves.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
            oh and ps have made own proving basket with ancient linen cloth inside a bowl. will it work? who knows? but it's another toy...
            BR you posted while I was taking photos, congrats on baking a nice looking loaf pity about the salt so I hope it was still eatable.
            Last edited by Bren In Pots; 03-02-2012, 02:53 PM. Reason: mis typed salt

Comment

Love the proving basket Bren!

Comment

Here's my second loaf its 3/4 strong bread flour with a 1/4 spelt and this time I'll remember to take a photo when we slice it.
                Attached Files

Comment

That looks brilliant Bren - you'd see a long queue for bread like that at the bakery!
                  Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Hmmm Bren I could almost smell it cooking!!

Good news: mine has some bubbles!!

Comment

Any left, Bren? Looks delicious and you can play noughts and crosses on it!

Comment

I've been following your thread with interest, although to start with I wasn't interested in joining in. One of the main reasons was that I have been trying to cut down/cut out bread altogether. It has often puzzled me that so many people seem to have problems with bread, and yet it seemed in the past people ate lots more of it than we do now.
                        I found this link this morning, I don't know yet if there are others supporting this view, but it does appear to answer some of my questions about bread, and its effects on people.
                        Sour Dough Bread and Health

Anyway, as OH was going out to get supplies for the 6 Nations, I added some items to his list .
                        I am going to try this recipe out for my starter, Wild Yeast Sourdough Starter | The Fresh Loaf, as I liked the way it explained why certain things happen at certain times.
                        I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
                        Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I wonder if the reason people have problems with bread these days is because of some of the ingredients put into commercial loaves?

Bread is (or should be) flour, water, yeast salt (sugar or honey & oil or butter)

If you have a problem with wheat flour, rye or spelt are both wonderful and if its a yeast thing, then sourdough is supposed to be more tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            Any left, Bren? Looks delicious and you can play noughts and crosses on it!
                            The before and after designs never look the same so next time I'm going to do just a couple of slashes.

Comment

Try a big B and see what happens!

Comment

Going to be making my first one tomorrow...so excited!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X