X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The sourdough Starter Thread

Here it is!

Post here with successes, failures and support, recommendations or general sourdough gossip!

I am going to be starting one again at the end of the week when I go shopping. At the moment I only have white strong flour that the family (with no imagination, only eat white loaves and rolls) like.

This is the recipe I'm going to be following :-

HFW Sourdough
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Hmm interesting idea adding rhubarb!

Comment

I've started mine

I'm using half wholegrain spelt flour with half strong bread flour and I dropped in a small piece of rhubarb.

Comment

Ha, very exciting to hear how you get on with the rhubarb, never tried that before!

Comment

a)can someone explain to me how this thread/sticky is different from normal threads? i know it's excitingly posh that we have one, b ut there my forum-knowledge ends...
            b)mine is still only bubbling a bit. Kfan, our resident expert, is this bad? shd I add fruit juice/yoghurt? how often shd I be feeding it? and I wonder if the jar should be fuller - it's prob about 1/3 of a pint at the moment...any thoughts, team?
            exciting!

Comment

BR I can't help with you sourdough Q but a sticky means this thread will always be at the top in the Off topic Grapes Recommendations part of the forum.
              Last edited by Bren In Pots; 23-01-2012, 09:31 PM.

Comment

oho. thank you! and i love your Sourdough Support Group thingy...support group is spot on! xBR

Comment

[b)mine is still only bubbling a bit. Kfan, our resident expert, is this bad? shd I add fruit juice/yoghurt? how often shd I be feeding it? and I wonder if the jar should be fuller - it's prob about 1/3 of a pint at the moment...any thoughts, team?
                  exciting![/QUOTE]

When did you start it? I take it only a few days, then a few bubbles are perfect. I would feed it according to the room temp. in my kitchen its around 16 dc so I feed it once a day now, when its warmer (around 20 dc) I would feed it twice a day (and don;t forget to take half out before you feed, I forgot to mention that initially I think :O). You have to be patient! No need to add anything. If you want more (check your recipe how much of a starter you need) then just feed slightly more each time then you have in the jar. Hope this helps...

Comment

I make it occasionally but just use a bog standard recipe from the BBC
                    BBC - Food - Recipes : Irish soda bread

Just realised that soda bread may not be the same as sourdough bread....

.... whatever. it works really well, so well that a class of Year 5 primary school kids all managed to make it and succeed

Comment

Sodabread has bicarb of soda as a leavener whereas sourdough uses natural airborne yeast. So to cultivate the yeast in a starter is a bit of a longer process. But both are lovely nothing better than the smell of home baked bread

Comment

Kfan, it was a few days ago, can't remember when...about a week, mebbe? am feeding once/twice a day, but just can't tell when it's READY. the recipe I read (Riv Cot) made me expect serious frothing, but it's more like a bit of light bubbling i.e. if you keep watching, pathetically, you see the odd tiny bubble b ut they're hard to spot...what do you reckon?

Comment

What does it smell like? I would be tempted to keep on going until it really bubbles a bit more. You should not expect foam like when washing up, but there should be obvious bubbles, the starter should be very light and smell like a combi of citrus fruit and earth/ compost. It sometimes takes longer than the recipe indicates, it really depends on the flour you use and the place you are in. Maybe you have a picture so I can help you a bit more? Its hard to judge not seeing/ smelling it...

Comment

I 'think' mines on its way

There were bubbles this morning so its had its first feed and I put a bit of tape on the jar to check its growth.

Comment

I want you to be its cybergodparents...I've started a loaf! read in the Moro cookbook that if you taste it and it's a bit fizzy, it's working, so i did and it was and now I'm proving it (Daniel STevens/Riv Cot method) and will let you know results. Thanks for description Kfan that was v encouraging...think I was confused by references to it bubbling fiercely, when mine was more...thoughtful.
                              How are you doing, others? Anyone else want to join in? it's weirdly addictive...

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X