Collapse

This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Snoop I thought it might be my weight but wanted to check.
    I use a set of Avery shop scales with lb and oz weighs so I have to convert modern recipes, it doesn't take long though.

I've always added milk at the end I wasn't sure if it would alter/spoil the preferment I can see how it might be easier it to add it earlier. Otherwise think I'd try a potato masher that should soon mix it together. ​​​​
    ​​​
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Potato masher is a good idea. Thanks.
      Location: north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep. Last frost: usually mid-April, sometimes first week in May. First frost: mid-October.

Comment

• I've just been looking around for info on milk and found this: https://crustylabs.com/the-effects-o...regular-bread/

Looks like more water and sufficient dried milk powder to make up the volume would be better than fresh milk.
        Location: north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep. Last frost: usually mid-April, sometimes first week in May. First frost: mid-October.

Comment

• A interesting article, it looks like the milk alters the crumb and colour of baked sourdough it was surprising I wouldn't have though it would make that much of a difference.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Not sure if you ever make soft dinner rolls. Not sourdough and I don't recommend using the instant mash powder (it makes the dough really stiff and the baked rolls a bit hard in texture), but the milk powder and fat makes a tremendous difference. Instead of the butter, I add 70 g of oil (sunflower or olive oil if not too green). And only around 7 or 8 g of sugar. I find them a bit odd, they come out looking like they're industrially made, they're so perfect. Everyone else loves them, as they're so soft.
            https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...r-rolls-recipe

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Mr B, would you mind sharing the recipe for the sourdough wraps? I keep thinking they sound yummy and always for get to ask. Thanks.
              This makes six flatbreads

375g strong white bread flour
              216g water
              40g starter (our starter's made roughly 2 flour to 1 water)
              1.5tsp salt
              Wholemeal Rye flour for rolling out/dusting (could use polenta)

Make a poolish in the normal way using half the flour, half the water and all the starter and allow to stand overnight. Next morning add the rest of the flour and water and the salt. Then we usually just put it in the bread maker on dough setting and leave it for the day.

Divide the finished dough into 6, flatten, stretch and dust with the rye giving a final stretch immediately prior to cooking. (There's no need to allow standing time after rolling out/shaping, they always puff up when cooked). We cook ours for a minute or so either side on a very hot cast iron plancha.
              Last edited by Mr Bones; 16-12-2021, 08:40 AM. Reason: extra info - no standing time after rolling out
              Location ... Nottingham

Comment

• Thanks, Mr Bones. I'll start some off tonight.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X