This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joyceybabe View Post
    Just read the HFW recipe and he describes the texture as rubbery. I quote "This bread has an elastic, ever-so-slightly-rubbery-but-in-a-really-good-way crumb and a proper, crisp, crunchy, robust crust." Is this normal cos that is probably how I would describe mine?
    I wonder if this could be to do with the flour you use? I have found that you really need a very strong flour to cope with a very wet dough. Also, see if you can stretch out the dough when you knead it to create lovely long strands of gluten (if that makes sense). So instead of beating it, try stretching it away from you and folding. I tend to use strong Canadian flour. Perhaps try a few different recipes and flour types to find one that suits the temperament of your sourdough. (They all have their own personalities but they do make rewarding pets....) Personally I have never got along with HFW's recipes but love Dan Lepard's 'the handmade loaf'

Comment

• Thanks Bren
      The problem with rounded personalities is they don't tesselate.

Comment

• Sourdough recipe

Hello lovely viners,

I would love to start making my own sourdough bread and was wondering if anyone could recommend a good and fool proof recipe to get a starter going and then reliable produce good loaves.

All recommendations gratefully received!

Cheers

Comment

• Try this http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...2-a_62813.html

Comment

• Thanks VC - much appreciated!

Comment

• Have read this post with great interest (and envy) - now off to get my starter going and hopefully have lovely sourdough bread in the not to distant future (must show patience)!

Comment

• I used Jamie Oliver's recipe which was really good, he also encourages you to explore the dough a but, different flours etc.

Mine is called Boris.

Comment

• Sourdough threads merged! Let's see how many other Grapes make Sourdough bread

Comment

• My starter is still going fine it gets used a couple of times a week and spends its time in-between living in the fridge.
                    Rhonsal you'll have to post a photo when you you've baked your first loaf
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Ok baking buddies - I need some advice!

I begun my starter on 8th Feb and have been following the instructions to the letter - however I'm noticing that on sitting the starter is splitting and a watery layer forming on the top. I've just been mixing this back in and keeping discarding and feeding it as instructed - is this ok, or have I done something wrong?

It has been bubbling slightly so I think it's alive, but I'm not sure how bubbly it should be really - I did read some other post about tasting it to make sure, but am a bit reluctant until I know the watery stuff is nothing nasty lol!

Any help gratefully received!

Comment

• Rhonsal that liquids called hooch it's mild alcohol and you can either stir it in as you've been doing unless it looks very watery then I tend to discard it.
                        You're on day 4 so your starter is doing fine I'd give it 3 or 4 more days then make my first loaf, don't forget you can make scones or pancakes instead of throwing out your discarded starter.

Comment

• Cheers Bren - crisis averted!

I have to say that getting to this point has been testing my patience - and gag reflex, as it's not the nicest smelling concoction at the moment!

However I know the end result and (hopefully) tasty loaf will be worth the perseverance!

Comment

• Ladies n gentlemen - drum roll please! I'm so pleased to introduce my first sourdough "baby"! All the effort was worth it as it tastes delicious and so much better (imho) than shop bought!
                            I'm feeling well chuffed!
                            Attached Files

Comment

• That's a loaf to be proud of congrats rhonsal

Comment

• Cheers Bren!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse