Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quince Jam Quandry...

Hi all
    On a recent trip I discovered a shop selling unusual jams that I cant source down here.

I bought some medlar jelly (love it) and quince jam.

Therein lies the problem: the quince jam is ok...its sweet and jam-like but none of us are struck on the flavour (what flavour?!! ) I have a whole jar of jam (minus a few sample spreadings) which wasnt cheap. Can anyone recommend what I can use the jam for? Or give me some inspriation? Otherwise it'll just go to waste.

Lastly, maybe it was just that jar of jam that had no flavour? What do you all think of the taste of quince?

Thanks all in advance

I usually pinch it form the pub tree, it's quite nice.

Maybe spread it underneath a fruit tart?

Comment

Bakewell (or something that isn't quite bakewell tart, but inspired by it)? There are enough stronger flavoured ingredients in that, the over-mild flavour of the quince jam shouldn't matter.
      Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Thanks Hilary, Bakewell sounds like a plan

Comment

Or fill a sponge with it. Adds sweetness and has a jammy feel and the flavour, or lack, won't be noticed.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Quince's are "pommes" related to apples, I like to add 3 lemon zest and juice to 5lb quinces and 2lb sugar, cook the peeled and cored fruit down to a very thick puree and when cool shape into a sausage shape/shapes(2" dia) wrap and tie in muslin, make a syrup with 2lb sugar and 1pt water bring to a boil and pour over wrapped sausages in a tray deep enough to cover, when cool drain well reserving syrup, reboil adding another 1lb sugar to syrup and pour over again, do over twice more, drain and allow to dry reserving syrup for other uses, unwrap carefully and cut in thin slices air dry until not sticky and store in layers with plenty of granulated sugar [can be stored whole and sliced as required] this quince cheese must be kept airtight and cool!! it is an Elizabethan luxury item, sugar being a costly item and was used as a sign of wealth when distributed at social gatherings of the period.
            Eat well, live well, drink moderately and be happy (hic!)

Comment

Yikes: do you often get 5 pounds of quinces OhB?
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by ohbeary View Post
                Quince's are "pommes" related to apples, I like to add 3 lemon zest and juice to 5lb quinces and 2lb sugar, cook the peeled and cored fruit down to a very thick puree and when cool shape into a sausage shape/shapes(2" dia) wrap and tie in muslin, make a syrup with 2lb sugar and 1pt water bring to a boil and pour over wrapped sausages in a tray deep enough to cover, when cool drain well reserving syrup, reboil adding another 1lb sugar to syrup and pour over again, do over twice more, drain and allow to dry reserving syrup for other uses, unwrap carefully and cut in thin slices air dry until not sticky and store in layers with plenty of granulated sugar [can be stored whole and sliced as required] this quince cheese must be kept airtight and cool!! it is an Elizabethan luxury item, sugar being a costly item and was used as a sign of wealth when distributed at social gatherings of the period.

Thanks ohbeary I only have a pot of jam though and wont be bothering to actually try and procure any fruit!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X