Redcurrant jam.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redcurrant jam.

Just made some and its really nice. Made blackcurrant jam at the same time and although I like it, I still think I prefer the redcurrant!

Dead easy as well:-

8 cups redcurrants
    1/2 cup of water
    4 1/2 cups of sugar

Boil together currants and water for 15 mins

Stir in sugar and let simmer for 20 mins

And thats it!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

You little beauty, I've picked most of my redcurrants and was wondering what to do with them all...thanks Uncle Snadger

Comment

Originally posted by ginger ninger View Post
      You little beauty, I've picked most of my redcurrants and was wondering what to do with them all...thanks Uncle Snadger
      You may not be so enthusiastic about the jam as I am so don't for cripes sakes put all of your eggs in one basket! Just use a proportion of them for jam...........just in case!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

A lot of people don't like currant jams and prefer to make them as jellies without the pips and lumps but I always think that's far too much work, you waste a lot and nowhere near as nice. Not got enough redcurrants to make jam but will use some in a mixed fruit jam as they're really yummy

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I prefer currant jams as I love the pips and lumps! I picked loads of blackcurrants on Sunday, gave half to a neighbour who helped on the lottie that day, and made a few pots of jam with the rest.

Don't have any redcurrants - wish we did now...
          I don't roll on Shabbos

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
            8 cups redcurrants
            1/2 cup of water
            4 1/2 cups of sugar
            And thats it!
            Hey Snadger

I've got lbs of redcurrants and want to make jom so just one clarification please. Does this mean

4 x 1/2 cup of sugar (ie 2 cups sugar)
            or 4.5 cups of sugar?

I don't want to muck it up.

Also - I've frozen the currants for the interim - do I have to defrost them before starting the cooking or can I just simmer them from frozen???

Ta
            Cheers

T-lady

Comment

I have to make a proportion of jellies because the pips get under me auld Ma's dentures and give her gyp!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I don't mean to sound a bit dim here but i've just harvested my first ever red & blackcurrants and was planning on making them into a summer fruits jam with my goosegogs but (time for dim question!) Do i have to top & tail the hairy ends of the currants as it seems like a bloomin' time consuming job?!
                Jane,
                keen but (slightly less) clueless
                http://janesvegpatch.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by T-lady View Post
                  Hey Snadger

I've got lbs of redcurrants and want to make jom so just one clarification please. Does this mean

4 x 1/2 cup of sugar (ie 2 cups sugar)
                  or 4.5 cups of sugar?

I don't want to muck it up.

Also - I've frozen the currants for the interim - do I have to defrost them before starting the cooking or can I just simmer them from frozen???

Ta
                  4.5 cups of sugar! I would defrost them so they don't stick on the pan?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Newbie View Post
                    I don't mean to sound a bit dim here but i've just harvested my first ever red & blackcurrants and was planning on making them into a summer fruits jam with my goosegogs but (time for dim question!) Do i have to top & tail the hairy ends of the currants as it seems like a bloomin' time consuming job?!
                    I usually top them but don't tail them.

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm of the Sarah Raven Brigade, and prune the currant bush whilst harvesting, so completing two tasks in one by cutting the complete fruiting stem, and then harvesting the currants off of the stem with the tines of a fork.
                      Simples

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X