Freezing gooseberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Freezing gooseberries

We have loads of green gooseberries and I'd like to freeze them so not to waste any.

Fool, we're not really into, as we don't like rich food that much and the cream puts us off.

Can I just cook them with sugar (how much?) strain and then freeze in batches to use with plain yoghurt?

And it looks like we will have our first load of red pax berries coming as well soon, can we just eat those fresh, or any other ideas?
    Thanks
    "Orinoco was a fat lazy Womble"

Please ignore everything I say, I make it up as I go along, not only do I generally not believe what I write, I never remember it either.

I freeze them whole, just toped, tailed, washed and bagged. Then I make pies or wine (depending on whether I'm feeling hungry or thirsty!)

I make fool with custard instead of cream. Much lighter. Sometimes I make up the custard with less milk - then it's gooseberries idiot. Like fool but thicker!
    Last edited by Flummery; 12-07-2010, 11:18 AM.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Like Flum I usually just freeze mine raw and whole but you can freeze cooked too. I tend to stew them with a very small amount of water and sugar to taste. As I only add a table spoon or so of water I don't then strain. Re the amount of sugar, this depends on your taste, I don't have a sweet tooth so don't put much in but my mum would put half a bag in

PS - I didn't realised until recently that you could make fools with cream as I'd only ever had them done with custard!

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

i freeze mine whole, straight from the bush - when i want to use them, i defrost, top, tail, wash then use - made some lovely jam last week (or was it the week before??)
        http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

we freeze direct from picking
          quick wash and then layout on a tray in the freezer to freeze individualy(saves all getting stuck together) then bag and label

absolute masses this year
          9 plants and over 70lbs in weight picked, gawd knows what to do with them all

Comment

if you put them in a freezer bag and freeze without washing, they won't stick together as they'll be dry anyway

70lbs should make about 105 jars of gooseberry jam ....
            i have 5 bushes, 2 large, 3 small - expecting about 20 - 25lbs this year
            http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Mine are frozen whole with no sugar. I never put sugar on frozen fruit, only when it's cooked if it needs it.

Comment

If you freeze gooseberries or currants straight from the bush, when you take them out for use, shake them about in a metal collander (while still frozen) and they will top-and-tail themselves!
                Saves a lot of work....
                Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Originally posted by Hilary B View Post
                  If you freeze gooseberries or currants straight from the bush, when you take them out for use, shake them about in a metal collander (while still frozen) and they will top-and-tail themselves!
                  Saves a lot of work....
                  Ohhh, my missus will love that idea, thanks

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X