Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alison
    replied
    Don't think that heat will effect the pH at all so there won't be problems with reduced acidity. Think that's right anyway but it's a long time since my O'level Chemistry.

Leave a comment:

• Hilary B
    replied
    It is possible to simply add 'pickling spice' to the jar with the vinegar and onions. Most people either buy pre-spiced, or boil the vinegar with the spices. I don't like boiling vinegar, because I am convinced you lose acid, but plenty of people seem to do it that way and it works for them.
    Last time I did any I whizzed the vinegar and spices in the blender. It made the vinegar a bit cloudy, but it seemed to work for putting spice flavour in quickly.
    I soak the onions in strong brine (3oz salt per pint) BEFORE peeling. It reduces the tears at peeling time. 2 days in that, and if you peel after brining, no need to rinse off.

Leave a comment:

• Alison
    replied
    I too roast my beets, just clean the mud off, wrap in oiled foil and cook for 45mins for ickle ones and upto 2 hours for big ones. Cool and rub off the skin, slice and pack jars. I make my own pickling vinegar by boiling up red wine vinegar with various spices. Sieve out the spices and let go cold. When the vinegar is properly cold, pour over the beets and close the lid. No need to form a vacuum as the vinegar keeps it good and I've read somewhere that you shouldn't put it on warm but can't remember why now (getting dippy in my old age!). As already said, leave to infuse and it'll be fab.

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Originally posted by ralf View Post
    OK so ive got the jars,got the onions and beetroots,got the vinegar(white?) and no experience whatsoever!!!
    so what next just bung em all in and leave for a while or dry out the onions and then do it ?all help greatfully received and appreciated
    Have you bought pickling vinegar, or just white vinegar. If it's ordinary white vinegar you need to add spices to taste. I'd go with the previous two posts for beetroot, but I usually warm my vinegar and screw the lid on. As for the onions, peel them, but in a bowl and cover with a goodly sprinkling of salt. Leave overnight to draw out excess moisture, then rinse the salt off, pack into jars and cover with spiced vinegar. PS one reason for using warm vinegar is that when it cools it creates a bit of a vacuum.

Leave a comment:

• blackkitty
    replied
    I bake the beetroot before pickling rather than boil it. I twist off the leaves and place in a roasting dish lined with foil, I then cover it with foil and bake until they are soft when pierced with a skewer, about 2 hours at 190C for big ones. I then heat up the vinegar with a little sugar, about 2 tablespoons per pint, a pinch of salt and a few peppercorns. When the beetroot is cooked I let it cool until I can handle them, peel off the skin, cut them into chunks and pack into serilized jars and cover with the vinegar. I often cut a shallot into rings and add a few pieces to each jar.

Leave a comment:

• OllieMartin
    replied
    This was my first year pickling beetroots, so I'm sure there are other methods that work better. But what I did was:

- Tear stalks off beetroot leaving 1-2inches
    - Pile into a pan
    - Fill with water
    - Boil for 1hr 15mins (or 1hr 30 mins depending on their size)
    - Remove
    - Rub skins off and pull off remaining stalks
    - Slice
    - Pile slices into empty jars
    - Pour over cold pickling vinegar
    - Leave for 2-3 weeks

I tried them today and they tasted fantastic. (Picture attached below. The jars get darker to the right as I started with the smallest, darkest beetroot and got larger and whiter, so hopefully when I eventually get onto that jar it will be amazing!)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by OllieMartin; 11-08-2009, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ralf
    started a topic pickling?

pickling?

OK so ive got the jars,got the onions and beetroots,got the vinegar(white?) and no experience whatsoever!!!
    so what next just bung em all in and leave for a while or dry out the onions and then do it ?all help greatfully received and appreciated

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X