Jerusalem artichokes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerusalem artichokes

So far have roasted and added to veg soup. Any other recipies-please??? Also a bit worried about side-effects (wind!) ...is it really going to be that bad?? Have heard fennel tea is supposed to help the problem, but don't want to be too unsociable! This is our first year growing them- they were gleefully dug up and chucked out by our neighbour who said we'd regret taking them on! Only planted 6 and we grew a huge hedge!! Most of the crop is sitting underground still.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Nicos after reading Hugh Fearnley Whittingstalls warning about the side effects there is no way I am going to grow Jerusalem Artichokes!!
    [

Comment

and they are.....????....(other than previously mentioned!!)....

Comment

Exactly as previously mentioned!!
        [

Comment

Nicos I have had a quick look through my favourite sites and the best for Jerusalem Artichoke recipes is www.riverford.co.uk They have 20 recipes most sites only have one. Must look into the side effects - see if there is a cure.
          [

Comment

Great to have found this thread as like Nicos I grew them, or perhaps more truthfully they grew themselves, into enormous plants. Having harvested a barrowload from 5 tubers I too was a bit desperate to find something to do with them, so have followed Lesley's link with grateful thanks. Just be careful about leaving them in the ground Nicos, as I gather they grow like wildfire from just bits of tubers! Didn't they make super flowers though?

Comment

I was thinking of growing these this year but my potato order has arrived and I realised I have no room, but I always use to make soup with them and it was very nice (haven't made it for years now) and if I remember rightly it said somewhere that if you add lemon juice that is meant to cut down the 'side effects'. Please let me know how it goes so I can decide for next year
              www.poultrychat.com

Comment

*art ichokes?

Thanks for that PoultryChat. Will try that with some of the recipes. A friend in the know calls them, "fartichokes", for obvious reasons! The flowers we had were good I have to say, and very like small sunflowers strangely enough. I better dig them all up this weekend as I dread to think that there may be a whole barrow load of them lurking under the surface.

Comment

"Fartichokes" like it! are a member of the sunflower family
                  Last edited by Patsy; 20-01-2006, 10:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Well..took my barrow and spade and started digging up the artichokes before they spread like crazy. Guess what? there were only about 8 left in the soil (having planted 6!) Looks like they have been gnawed from underground (? moles) . Either that or they are deeper than 1 foot down. No doubt will find out next year. Oh well- don't have to worry about side-effects after all. Thanks for your advice on all that.

Comment

I have just bought some jerusalem artichokes from the veg man on the market. How do you grow them? when can I plant them? how big do they grow? and when do I harvest them? never tried them never seen them grown don't know anything really, but keen to have a go, can you help, ta caz

Comment

Dig a hole, chuck them in ...and a fast retreat!
                        Actually they really are easy to grow (but be aware that they grow like sunflowers but with smaller heads)- about 8-9 ft high so choose a spot that won't rob other plants of light. They will need spacing out by 1 1/2 feet apart as they have quite a lot of leaf growth. Bury them at 6ins depth ( I don't think it matters which way up)and chuck in a little compost.
                        Also they spread like mad if you don't dig them all up.
                        You can plant them pretty soon so long as the soil isn't waterlogged. Harvesting is any time from oct to now. Lets hope you like them!
                        Last edited by Nicos; 07-02-2006, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Found out a bit more about them. If you want to increase the yield, you should earth them up a bit when they are knee height.
                          The interesting info I found out is that if you boil them before roasting, the become virtually wind free. Although they are a carbohydrate, even Atkins dieters can eat them.These are what we as a nation ate before spuds were introduced. Oh yes, and they don't like boggy ground in winter, so if you have clay soil then they need planting in 6ins high ridges for drainage,at a depth of 6 ins.

Comment

I don't believe that earthing up gets you a better yield, I've done that and not done it, as it were, and I haven't noticed any difference. Tends to keep them upright on an exposed site though, they can benefit from the support that earthing up gives them.

I've grown them successfully for years, and if you'll forgive me for posting a link to what I've already written elsewhere again (sorry that I seem to keep doing this):

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Gr...g_and_cooking/
                            http://www.downsizer.net

http://cabd.livejournal.com

Comment

the elusive tubers!

Found out today why we cropped so few !
                              The guy on the next plot told us today that he found what he thought was a rabbit warren on his plot, so he dug it out, only to find that it was much wider than a bunny would dig, and at the end was a chamber stuffed full of our jerusalem artichokes!!! He reckons it was a squirrel store (we are growing on peat...very soft and similar to the bags of potting compost most of you buy!!) So there we go...nature at it's best eh?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X