Preserving horseradish

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nick the grief View Post
    The thing I found with grinding up the dried bits was that I got a flour like powder. When I've blended or coffee-grindered (is that a word?) fresh roots, I've always ended up with a texture that stuck between the teeth or felt gritty. The dried stuff came out smooth like a (non wholemeal) mustard. Add that to the fact that the stuff was already over a year old and I was pretty chuffed.

Because it was dried, it didn't make the whole kitchen uninhabitable like the fresh root does, without water the reaction doesn't happen and you only get the biting smell if you get any of the dust directly in your nose.

Now I need to see if I can excavate any more from where it grows. I've only gone two feet down so far this winter and the ruddy stuff will still be back come summer...
    Last edited by Mark Rand; 18-01-2021, 10:14 PM.
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post

I think you have to use food grade silica gel sachets . but i could be wrong.
      I don't think there's any such thing as food grade silica gel. You don't eat it, after all, nor is it meant to come into contact with the food stuff in the first place (that's why it's in sachets).

Comment

100Pcs Non Toxic Food Grade Silica Gel Desiccant Moisture-Absorber-Dessicant ...you can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark Rand View Post

The thing I found with grinding up the dried bits was that I got a flour like powder. When I've blended or coffee-grindered (is that a word?) fresh roots, I've always ended up with a texture that stuck between the teeth or felt gritty. The dried stuff came out smooth like a (non wholemeal) mustard. Add that to the fact that the stuff was already over a year old and I was pretty chuffed.

Because it was dried, it didn't make the whole kitchen uninhabitable like the fresh root does, without water the reaction doesn't happen and you only get the biting smell if you get any of the dust directly in your nose.

Now I need to see if I can excavate any more from where it grows. I've only gone two feet down so far this winter and the ruddy stuff will still be back come summer...
          I must admit I've never had the courage to grow it ... I struggle with a jar we have in the cupboard I find that painfull on the sinuses one of the lanes near me has a huge clump growing in the verge and I've oftem thought about about liberating a lump ... but
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X