Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crackers and biscuit recipes

100 g bread flour
    80 g of mixed seeds (flax, poppy, sesame, sunflower, pumpkin, etc.)
    60 g water
    25 g olive or other oil
    2 g salt
    2 g bicarbonate of soda

Mix all the ingredients (including the oil) and roll out between two sheets of baking parchment to around 2 mm thick.
    Remove top sheet of paper, brush with more olive oil, prick with a fork and mark into squares. Bake for 20 mins at 200 ºC.

Bread flour in Spain is rated differently to flour in the UK. The flour I use is W160. It may be that your bread flour might be a bit too strong so you could maybe try mixing with a bit of plain flour too.
    Also, keep an eye on the crackers when baking. I find 20 minutes too long, but I bake them on the floor of a wood-burning range oven.

Link to the original recipe in Spanish for pictures and full description (Google Translate will turn it into a reasonable version in English): https://blog.elamasadero.com/hemos-d...s-de-semillas/

For anybody in Spain interested in buying flour, El Amasadero has a great selection, including French and Italian flours.

Edited to add: the all-important step of pricking the crackers with a fork to stop them puffing up.
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 05-09-2020, 01:31 PM.

Thanks for sharing that Snoop
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just wondering if you’ve tried that recipe without the bicarbonate?

Comment

No, I haven't. But I bet your husband could come up with a sourdough version in the style of these that Bren makes: https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/rec...rackers-recipe
        I've made the King Arthur crackers with olive oil rather than butter and they came out a bit tough. So maybe take the King Arthur recipe as the basis and bung in a load of seeds. I've found it pointless trying to get anything to stick to the top of crackers other than salt, as it always drops off. But adding the seeds in with the mix works well.
        Last edited by Snoop Puss; 05-09-2020, 01:27 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting the recipe Snoop I do love home baked crackers.
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I hope you don't mind me adding this Swedish one my friend uses? ( just thought it'd be nice to keep another recipe with that one ?)

its from this ....https://cyclingtips.com/2015/08/frok...eded-crackers/

INGREDIENTS

Makes 30-35 crackers
            • one cup of gluten-free flour, such as quinoa flour or chickpea flour
            • 1/2 cup sesame seeds
            • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
            • 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
            • 1/4 cup chia seeds
            • 1/4 teaspoon salt
            • 1 1/4 cup boiling water
            • 1 tablespoon coconut oil

Note: Any number of seeds can be added to or swapped out for the ones above. You can also opt to use a different sort of olive oil and add additional salt to taste.
            PREPARATION
            1. Preheat the oven to 175°C
            2. Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl. Pour in the water and coconut oil. Mix everything together until it has a dough-like consistency.
            3. Line a baking sheet with baking paper. Place the dough on the baking sheet, and add a top layer of baking paper. Roll out the dough as thinly and evenly as possible between the two sheets of baking paper.
            4. Pull off the top sheet of baking paper and score the dough. Do not cut all the way through. You’re scoring now to make breaking the crackers easier later.
            5. Bake in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
            6. After you remove the crackers from the oven, leave to cool before you break into pieces.
            Last edited by Nicos; 06-09-2020, 10:27 AM.

Comment

They sound good, Nicos. Might try those with oat flour.

By the way, how about changing the thread title to crackers or crackers and biscuit recipes? Can you do that as a mod? That way, we could all add to it as we go along. Better than having loads of different threads.

Comment

Good idea Snoop I’ve edited the title.

I’ve only ever made biscuits using wheat flour I think it might be time to try other options.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

^Thanks, Bren. Forgot you were a mod too. Sorry. Not thinking.

Me, I like bread made with wheat, rye and barley flour. Delicious flavour. Only trouble is there's the occasional one that comes out a bit on the gummy side. Not too much and Mr Snoop doesn't care, but as the baker I notice. Impossible for me to regulate the oven temperature properly, so it's inevitable.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X