Collapsed Loaf--Help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsed Loaf--Help!

I am using the recipe per my breadmaker's book and recently two loaves have collapsed.

Any ideas why please.
    Last edited by DannyK; 11-08-2020, 02:21 PM.
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Because you have a big air hole one guess would be too much yeast. The only time I 've had problems with my breadmaker was when the thermostat/heat sensor needed cleaning. But that made a really dense loaf. What sort of breadmaker is it?

Comment

It's a Kenwood BM 260 or366.

It does sound like a senior moment. It's only happened twice recently. I use a measure with a sliding bit in it. Possibly it got 3tsp instead of the 1.5 tsp.

i shall check very carefully next time.

Thanks
      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Danny I feel your frustration today l baked a sourdough loaf and for some reason it didn’t rise much plus it’s rather dense like a rye loaf.
        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I find it easier to measure the yeast by grams rather than teaspoons. I know that anything between 5 and 7 grams yeast to 400 grams flour makes a perfect loaf.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

^I'm a keen weigher too.

Comment

I also weigh, mine are a set of Avery scales with lb and oz weights so I have to convert recipes. I suppose it would be easier to buy new weights but I'm attached to my old set.

​​​​​
              ​​​​
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I just use tsp as that is what the book uses. Was using 450g flour.
                As I said I might have not set slider properly. I'll see what the weight is next time.
                Unlike my late mother I'm no baker. She made excellent bread by hand. I can't remember her using strong flour though.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Old ladies always used "breadflour" in WW2 and post war. My husband got a serious lecture from his mother about not using the proper flour when he moaned he couldn't make bread like she did. It just wasn't marketed as " breadflour" then.

Comment

I think it must have been excess yeast. Yesterday's loaf OK after careful measuring.

1.5 tsp = 7g

Thanks all.
                    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                      I think it must have been excess yeast. Yesterday's loaf OK after careful measuring.

1.5 tsp = 7g

Thanks all.
                      Glad you had success!

Comment

Yes, me too, glad it worked out OK. Happy baking.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X