Collapsed Loaf--Help!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collapsed Loaf--Help!

I am using the recipe per my breadmaker's book and recently two loaves have collapsed.

Any ideas why please.
    Last edited by DannyK; 11-08-2020, 02:21 PM.

Because you have a big air hole one guess would be too much yeast. The only time I 've had problems with my breadmaker was when the thermostat/heat sensor needed cleaning. But that made a really dense loaf. What sort of breadmaker is it?

Comment

It's a Kenwood BM 260 or366.

It does sound like a senior moment. It's only happened twice recently. I use a measure with a sliding bit in it. Possibly it got 3tsp instead of the 1.5 tsp.

i shall check very carefully next time.

Thanks

Comment

Danny I feel your frustration today l baked a sourdough loaf and for some reason it didn’t rise much plus it’s rather dense like a rye loaf.

Comment

I find it easier to measure the yeast by grams rather than teaspoons. I know that anything between 5 and 7 grams yeast to 400 grams flour makes a perfect loaf.
          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
          Endless wonder.

Comment

^I'm a keen weigher too.
            Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

I also weigh, mine are a set of Avery scales with lb and oz weights so I have to convert recipes. I suppose it would be easier to buy new weights but I'm attached to my old set.

​​​​​
              ​​​​

Comment

I just use tsp as that is what the book uses. Was using 450g flour.
                As I said I might have not set slider properly. I'll see what the weight is next time.
                Unlike my late mother I'm no baker. She made excellent bread by hand. I can't remember her using strong flour though.

Comment

Old ladies always used "breadflour" in WW2 and post war. My husband got a serious lecture from his mother about not using the proper flour when he moaned he couldn't make bread like she did. It just wasn't marketed as " breadflour" then.

Comment

I think it must have been excess yeast. Yesterday's loaf OK after careful measuring.

1.5 tsp = 7g

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
                      I think it must have been excess yeast. Yesterday's loaf OK after careful measuring.

1.5 tsp = 7g

Thanks all.
                      Glad you had success!

Comment

Yes, me too, glad it worked out OK. Happy baking.
                        Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X