225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
    1 tsp ground pickling spice
    1/2 tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp dry mustard
    2 tsp salt
    300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
    gravy browning to colour (optional)

1. sterilise your bottles/jars

2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0628x4.html
    I just made this, but sieving the mixture makes it way too runny. I think I'm going to have to puree some of the slush and add it to the liquid until it's the right consistency.
    Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
    Snadger - Director of Poetry
    RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
    Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
    Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
    piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Thought I'd pop this back on, I don't know about you lot but I've got lots of green tom's, there's some very nice recipe on here and I for one will be trying some of them.

Comment

Green Tomato Pie

INGREDIENTS
        5 green tomatoes, chopped
        300 g white sugar
        30 ml cider vinegar
        2 g ground cinnamon
        2 g ground nutmeg
        0.5 g ground cloves
        3 g salt
        30 g all-purpose flour (it may need more depending on the wateryness of the mixture or the ripeness of the tomatoes)
        1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie

DIRECTIONS
        1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. Place diced green tomatoes and vinegar in a large bowl.

3. In a medium bowl, mix together sugar, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, salt and flour. Sprinkle over tomatoes and toss to coat evenly.

4. Pour into pie crust and cover with criss-cross lattice crust.

5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and crust is brown. If the filling is still too runny leave in for a maximum of 1 hour.

Apparently this tastes just like apple pie. I've got so many green tomatoes I'm itching for new ideas to use them up. I've already done 2 of the recipes from this thread.
        Green Tomato Pie III - All Recipes
        Last edited by OllieMartin; 18-10-2009, 09:22 PM.
        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
        Snadger - Director of Poetry
        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

I'm making chutney with mine, took them all off last night as we were supposed to be getting a frost!! Hurmph!

Anywho, my question is: can I pour hot water on them same as the red ones to help with the peeling process? (I have a thick skin on mine due to my neglect of watering....)

Comment

i think i read somewhere that oyu cant with green ones as the skin is different apparently. hopefully someone who knows a bit more than me will come along to advise you though!

Comment

Originally posted by lizzylemon View Post
              can I pour hot water on them same as the red ones to help with the peeling process? (I have a thick skin on mine due to my neglect of watering....)
              Yes you can. I found this by accident: I added green toms to a soup, and then had to scald my fingers picking out all the skins that had come off in it
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

The recipe I use for green tomato chutney doesn't require you to skin them first, I think the cooking time softens the skins enough to allow them to be undetectable when eaten.

Comment

Eagerly opened my Pickled Green Tomatoes on Christmas Day to have with the cold meat and cheese as a buffet tea. Didnt like them Oh well you live and learn.

Comment

bump for this year

Comment

and not a moment too soon!

Comment

I have a nice variation on a green tomato chutney. It is a variation because I kept having to add things until it worked out! It actually worked out really really tasty and good so I thought share the recipe

Green Tomato Christmas Chutney

3 pints vinegar (malt is fine)
                        3lb light muscovado or demerrera sugar
                        3 lb. chopped green tomatoes or a mix of any colours you have
                        1 lb. chopped cooking apples
                        2 lb. Mixed fruit
                        1 lb. chopped onions
                        1 lb. sugar (granulated is fine)
                        1 tbsp All spice
                        1/2 tbsp cinamon
                        Pinch of salt
                        2 chillies finely chopped (You can skip this if you want a more traditional recipe)
                        1 Large marrow, about 2-3lb peeled and choped with water squeezed out
                        • Chop things which need to be choped roughly, no need to do too much
                        • Put everything in the biggest pan you own
                        • Put it on the lowest heat possible and leave over night, this gives everything a nice colour and makes the veg go almost like caramel
                        • Bring mixture to boil and cook slowly stirring all the time until it thickens. (can take a long time)
                        • Store in jars in the manner you normally would
                        My very pink Blog about food and...more food

Comment

Originally posted by BrokenOphelia View Post
                          Put it on the lowest heat possible and leave over night, this gives everything a nice colour and makes the veg go almost like caramel
                          do you mean on the hob or in the oven??? thanks
                          The love of gardening is a seed once sown never dies ...

Comment

Ooops sorry on the hob! Oh dear that was a silly mistake for me to make >.<
                            My very pink Blog about food and...more food

Comment

A Nigel Slater Recipe, we had it with mash and french beans, nice

8 large chicken thighs
                              the juice of a lemon
                              2 tbsp olive oil
                              12 black olives
                              350g tomatoes
                              6 plump cloves of garlic
                              3 large sprigs of thyme

Set the oven at 180C/gas mark 4. Rub the chicken pieces all over with salt and black pepper. Put them snugly in a roasting tin.
                              Pour the lemon juice and olive oil into a mixing bowl then add the olives, stoned and halved. Cut the tomatoes into quarters, unless they are very small when you can simply halve them. Peel the garlic, squash each clove with the flat side of a knife, but keep them whole. Add them to the tomatoes. Pull the leaves off the thyme sprigs and add to the tomatoes with a generous seasoning of black pepper and a little salt.
                              Colour the chicken lightly on both sides in a little oil over a moderate heat. The skin should be pale gold. Tip the tomato mixture over the top and bake for 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and have produced plenty of juice and the chicken juices run clear when you pierce the flesh with a skewer.
                              Serve with rice, couscous or crusty bread to soak up the tomatoey-chickeny juices.
                              WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Bumping this thread for everyone with slow ripening tomatoes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X