Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marigold Express Fried Green Tomatoes

1. Cut tomatoes into thickish slices
    2. Take a plastic bag and pour in a small amount of plain flour.
    3. Add salt and pepper to the flour.
    4. Dump tomatoes into flour.
    5. Twist bag and shake flour mixture until tomatoes are lightly coated.
    6. Fry tomatoes by taking them out of the flour mixture, tapping lightly, and placing them into hot left-over sausage grease.
    7. Turn when they are a golden brown colour.
    7. They are finished when the second side is golden brown.
    8. Salt and Pepper to taste.

Enjoy.

Comment

I tried making the jam, but after spending an age skinning the green tomatoes (there's no easy way - or if there is could someone tell me ??) I managed to burn the jam to the bottom of the pan - badly !! :-(

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkle View Post
        I tried making the jam, but after spending an age skinning the green tomatoes
        there's no skin on a green tomato is there?
        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by valmarg View Post
          PICKLED GREEN TOMATOES

This is an extraordinary pickle. Once you have tasted it you will never again forget that the tomato really is a fruit. It goes well with cheese, even better with pâtés and terrines.

valmarg

I thoroughly agree with valmarg on this. I made it last year and loved it - cracking with cheese, cheese and a bit more cheese please!
          Cheers

T-lady

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Unfortunately there is.

I made a curry with my green tomatoes as they were starting to get blight.

Green Tomatoes with Indian Spices Recipe | Recipezaar
            Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I never bother skinning green tomatoes, but obviously if they've got any grotty marks or signs of blight you should cut these out. The only tomatoes I skin are really ripe ones, and then I often don't bother. Just made some oven roasted tomato, pepper, garlic & onion pasta sauce. Just coat in a little oil, roast in the oven, leave to cool, blitz with a stick blender and pack into containers and freeze (AND LABEL!! - reminder to self, label everything)

Comment

BBC - Food - Recipes - Green tomato chutney

Keith Floyd Cracker, made this the other night and it is lovely! nice kick from the chillis

Ingredients
                15g/½oz root ginger
                8-10 chillies
                2kg/4lb green tomatoes, chopped
                500g/1lb apples, peeled, cored and chopped
                250g/8oz raisins, chopped
                625g/1¼lb shallots, chopped
                2 tsp salt
                500g/1lb brown sugar
                570ml/1 pint malt vinegar

Method
                1. Bruise the ginger and tie in a muslin bag with the chillies.
                2. Place all the other ingredients in a preserving pan and suspend the muslin bag among them.
                3. Bring to the boil, stirring until the sugar has dissolved, and simmer until the desired consistency is reached.
                4. Remove the muslin bag. Pour into warmed sterilised jars, cover and label.
                Excuse me, could we have an eel? You've got eels down your leg.

Comment

Ok I'm bumping this thread cause I've got blight - AGAIN, and am getting all the toms off all plants whether blighted or not (although the non blight plant toms are going in windows to ripen

Absolutely bladdy amazing how quick it came on - less than 24hrs

And my tatties aren't affected - yet - either
                  Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

going to get 5,000,000 green tomatoes in tomorrow i think as they are looking a bit sorry for themselves and suspect blight so just wanted to make sure i could find this thread again! Some brilliant recipes - thanks grapes

Comment

Well thank God for you guys.

As only 1 of my 1 zillion Ailsa Craigs looks like it's finally changing colour and the plants themselves are looking more than a little sad and bedraggled, I was beginning to think that I would be composting my entire crop .

NOW I can make soup (do you know wether or not it freezes well Two-Sheds?) and chutney (to go with my 1 billion jars of pickled cucumbers ) and the jam sounds - urmmm - interesting (seeings how mys trawberry crop didn't make it beyond the hands of my 2 enthusiastic little helpers ).

Thanks again,
                      Reet
                      xx

Comment

Green Tomato & Pepper Relish

INGREDIENTS
                        24 large green tomatoes
                        3 red bell peppers, halved and seeded
                        3 green bell peppers, halved and seeded
                        12 large onions
                        20 g celery seed
                        35 g mustard seed
                        20 g salt
                        1000 g white sugar
                        475 ml cider vinegar

DIRECTIONS
                        1. In a grinder or food processor, coarsely grind tomatoes, red bell peppers, green bell peppers, and onions. (You may need to do this in batches.) Line a large colander with cheesecloth, place in sink or in a large bowl, and pour in tomato mixture to drain for 1 hour.

2. In a large, non-aluminum stockpot, combine tomato mixture, celery seed, mustard seed, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil and simmer over low heat 5 minutes, stirring frequently.

3. Sterilize enough jars and lids to hold relish (12 one-pint jars, or 6 one-quart jars). Pack relish into sterilized jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.

4. Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot using a holder. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.

5. Remove jars from pot and place on cloth-covered or wood surface, several inches apart, until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all). Relish can be stored for up to a year.

Green Tomato Relish - All Recipes
                        Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                        Snadger - Director of Poetry
                        RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                        Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                        Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                        piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Green Tomato Mincemeat

Recipe for Green Tomato Mincemeat (tastes just like the stuff at Christmas)
                          • 2.4 kg green tomatoes, minced
                          • 2 kg minced, cored apples
                          • 115 g beef suet (i used vegetable)
                          • 1.4 kg brown sugar
                          • 120 ml distilled white vinegar (I used cider as I didnt want it to be too vinegary)
                          • 20 g salt
                          • 7 g ground cinnamon
                          • 7 g ground cloves (didnt have any so just used mised spice)
                          • 6 g ground allspice
                          • 455 g raisins
                          • 450 g candied mixed citrus peel (optional) didnt use this
                          • 3-1/2 large orange, peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite-size
                          • 1 lemons, finely chopped

1. In a very large stock pot, combine green tomatoes, apples, suet (or oil), brown sugar, chopped oranges, chopped lemons, raisins, and candied peel. Season with salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Cover, and cook over low heat for 3 hours.
                          2. Sterilize 15 (1 pint) canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions.
                          3. Ladle filling into the sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch head space. Wipe the jar with a clean, damp cloth. Cover with jars with lids, and screw on jar rings.
                          4. Heat water in a hot water canner. Place jars in rack, and slowly lower jars into canner. The water should cover the jars completely, and should be hot but not boiling. Bring water to a boil, and process for 10 minutes.

Comment

Two Sheds's Green Tomato Soup

Sublime! It looks unpromising but tastes divine!

Comment

Green Tomato Ketchup

1.4 kg (3 lb) green toms, finely chopped
                              450 g (1 lb) apples, finely chopped
                              2 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
                              225 g (1/2 lb) sugar
                              1 tsp ground pickling spice
                              1/2 tsp pepper
                              1/2 tsp dry mustard
                              2 tsp salt
                              300 ml (1/2 pt) vinegar
                              gravy browning to colour (optional)

1. sterilise your bottles/jars

2. simmer all ingredients for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

3. Sieve the mixture, re-boil the sauce and bottle while still hot.

http://www.cookitsimply.com/recipe-0010-0628x4.html
                              Any suggestions on the type of vinegar to use? If I used pickling vinegar could i omit the ground pickling spice?
                              Current Executive Board Members at Ollietopia Inc:
                              Snadger - Director of Poetry
                              RedThorn - Chief Interrobang Officer
                              Pumpkin Becki - Head of Dremel Multi-Tool Sales & Marketing and Management Support
                              Jeanied - Olliecentric Eulogy Minister
                              piskieinboots - Ambassador of 2-word Media Reviews

WikiGardener a subsidiary of Ollietopia Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by OllieMartin View Post
                                If I used pickling vinegar could i omit the ground pickling spice?
                                I guess so.
                                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X