Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooking with beans

Just a little tip,

when cooking with beans, only season with salt when they are pretty much cooked through otherwise they will never go all soft and buttery. Salt hardens them up somewhat if added early.

Do people still add salt to their food? I thought it was banned
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

It took me years to get my family used to a low salt diet...and then my OH went and did a Cook Off competition - and now he goes on about 'seasoning 'the food better with salt!!!!

( did you hear that info on the Spanish food program Piglet?? - we are thoroughly enjoying it!)
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I use a pinch of salt in my veg, it does bring out the flavour even more. The problem as I see it is with processed food and the humungous amount of salt added that we don't necessarily realise is there and definitely don't need. A very small amount of salt is needed in our diet but as with everything, not to excess and needs to be used wisely. And there endeth my tuppenth!!

And PW - yes, my beans do tend to be a bit crunchy!
        Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

I did Nicos, but must admit to already knowing that fact. We use beans a lot all year round.

If you notice all of the tv chefs seasoning their food, its cos it is all fresh and therefore does not have any salt in it. Also sea salt looks to be more than it actually is when compared to table salt which we never use. Procesed food is already seasoned so will not need more adding.

Comment

Just steam my beans without any salt, actually prefer them that way.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I saw that programme too. Those two annoyed me when they did their programme from the UK, but I was less annoyed by them in Spain.

We only use sea salt flakes at home.
              A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

Sea salt or table salt, the amount of sodium in it is the same and its the sodium in 'common salt' that can cause health problems.

Try weighing out 6g of salt (maximium recommended daily allowance), its about a teaspoonful. Then look at how much salt is in the processed food you eat - bread is surprisingly high I always think.
                Last edited by smallblueplanet; 02-04-2008, 01:05 PM.
                To see a world in a grain of sand
                And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

what to do ?

hi i am new to the site and a first time veg grower, one of my sucessess so far ( with lots more i hope !!! ) is broad beans, watch this all the slugs will eat them tonight now i've said that !!

my question is what on earth do i do with broad beans ? i am no Delia !

poppy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X