Mashed Spuds

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mashed Spuds

Anyone got any tips on how I would go about freezing mashed potatoes, the ones I have in store look like they are about to start sprouting, even though they are in hessian sacks and it seems a shame to dump them all.
    thanks
    Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
    Bob Dylan

My cookbook says spuds are best frozen as duchesse potatoes....

Ingredients:

700g (1 1/2 lb) potatoes, peeled and cut into pieces
    salt and pepper
    50g (2 oz) butter or margarine
    1 egg, beaten
    freshly grated nutmeg

Method:

1. cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 15-20 minutes, till tender, then drain well.
    2. Seive or mash the potatoes, then beat in the butter, egg, seasoning and nutmeg. Cool.
    3. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large rosette nozzle and pipe into pyramids on a greased baking sheet. Cook in the oven at 200C (400F) gas 6 for about 25 minutes, until set and golden brown.

Hope that helps - suspect they are frozen before the baking stage.
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Just realised I have mash in the freezer that was just mashed with butter and milk then bunged in - it looks okay.
      Happy Gardening,
      Shirley

Comment

thanks for the tips, will probably try both methods tommorrow and see which one works best.
        Kernow rag nevra

Some people feel the rain, others just get wet.
        Bob Dylan

Comment

Make regular mash and freeze in portion sizes. I've also made duchess potato (posh mash piped into swirls). You can also make your mash and use to top shepherds pies for the freezer. All keep really well. I also froze bubble and squeak in individual portions from the Xmas leftovers. Shaped them with a large pastry cutter, open froze and then packed into larger boxes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X