Spiced Banana Loaf

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spiced Banana Loaf

Here's the recipe now of my Spiced Banana Loaf, what got thrown into Steve Wright's on-air skip on BBC Radio 2 on Friday, after my cat's latest mouse 'escapee' decided to do a 'taste test' of it on the cooling rack in my kitchen WHILST I WAS WATCHING?!
    so.....

SPICED BANANA LOAF

Makes 16 slices
    Preparation time: 10 mins
    Cooking Time: 40 mins
    Oven Temp: Preheat to 180c, 350F, Gas 4

4oz unbleached plain flour
    4 oz plain wholemeal flour
    2 level tablsps. muscovado sugar
    2 level teasps. bicarb of soda
    1 level teasp. each ground cinnamon & nutmeg
    2 oz. butter
    4oz. low-fat natural yoghurt
    2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
    1 egg, lightly beaten
    1 teasp. vanilla extract

1. Line a 10 x 5 inch loaf tin. Better still, treat yourself to a silicone loaf tin from Lidl, then you won't have to......

2. Sift both flours, the sugar, bicarb, cinnamon & nutmeg into a mixing bowl, tipping the bran remaining in the sieve into the bowl. (Incidentally, I only put half a teasp. each of cinnamon & nutmeg in because I wanted to taste banana rather than spices....?)

3. Melt the Bugger, sorry, the Butter (old wellie forum spelling blip joke which DDL may remember?!) in a small saucepan, remove from the heat and mix in the yoghurt, the mashed Nana, egg and vanilla extract. Pour into the flour and mix well to make a smooth very thick batter.

4. Pour into the loaf tin wotsit and bake in a heated oven for 40 mins ish. Leave the loaf in the tin wotsit for 10 mins, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely. Preferably without a mouse attached to the corner of it (!) before you store it in an airtight tin, or slice and freeze.....

I haven't tried toasting it yet, but my 'gut feeling' is telling me to.
    I reckon it'll be a bit like toasted Malt Bread. Incredibly moist, and chewy-gooey all at the same time.
    Hope you like it DDL!
    X

Why don't you try giving Mickey a taste?
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Oooooh - how scrummy does THAT sound?!

Defo on the list for cooking next weekend....

Comment

Originally posted by Hazel at the Hill View Post
        Oooooh - how scrummy does THAT sound?!

Defo on the list for cooking next weekend....
        Me too, sounds delish doesn't it?

I'm always trying to find moist cakes to make for KK.

Off to buy some bananas tomorrow (everywhere closed today)
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

Thanks for the recipe Wellie. Have saved it and will try probably next weekend - no bananas in the house at the moment though I've got everything else (typical). Sounds delicious.

Comment

Snadger, pay attention mate, Mickey's gone to heaven with a full tummy already so soon?
            X

Comment

Ooh - can I use 'strong wholemeal flour' instead of 'plain wholemeal flour' do you reckon?

Comment

I've done banana loaf with strong wholemeal flour before and tastes alright, no diffrence from when I use plain wholemeal flour. May I suggest adding walnuts and raisins, yummy!

Comment

Oooooooooo yummmm... I have two frozen 'nanas that I was waiting to use. Looks like a perfect excuse to defrost them.

dribble, dribble
                  Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Originally posted by Shortie View Post
                    Oooooooooo yummmm... I have two frozen 'nanas that I was waiting to use. Looks like a perfect excuse to defrost them.

dribble, dribble
                    Learn something noo on the Vine every day - never knew you could freeze banananas.

Comment

lol, they defrost very soggy and black. They look pretty grosse but prefect for banana breads (plus good money saving as you can save them till your ready to use them)
                      Shortie

"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

Comment

Freeze bananas, but not in the skin - then they won't go black.
                        All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Thanks Wellie! Sounds delicious. Another recipe for our sailing days next summer, and next weekend hopefully.
                          ~
                          Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

i just made this today. i swapped one spoon of sugar for 3 dates chopped very finely.
                            iv got an aga but am house sitting so used a normal oven. iv got no real idea what temps are for what because iv only ever used an aga (1 very hot oven, 1 slightly less hot) so it was a bit of guess work.
                            i think if i made it again id put in 3 banannas as it could have been a bit moister i think. also i think if i were to omit the extra sugar id need to add more dates. it is nice though, just needs tweeking for me. i dont know what it would be like with the full amount of sugar tho..

Comment

Hazel - I used strong flour, as I'm trying to reduce the contents of my larder ?!
                              Jennie - the pleasure is all mine.
                              Shortie - Last Hit!

leona - Isn't it awful when you have to cook on someone-else's cooker? (See Wellie try and cook in France for The Scareys, and boil things over, undercook stuff and overcook things and dinner was dead late, and everything?!)

leona, I 'learned to cook' on an Aga. Could you not buy yourself an oven thermometer? I find mine very useful (even just to check if your cooker is 'running to temperature')

I cooked the recipe I posted up in my Rayburn, so I would imagine that it'll be perfectly fine in your Aga, if you use the right level and your cold shelf, when appropriate.

I hope your recipe works out as good as the one I used. Lots of luck with it anyway.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X