Cabbage glut?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabbage glut?

Some ideas of what to do with a cabbage glut (specially for Snoop Puss)

Please feel free to add any other links/recipes

https://morningchores.com/preserving-cabbage/
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Thanks, Nicos. Some of those look good. And yes, you'd think I'd have thunk of coleslaw, wouldn't you? Reading that was a slap-head-and-say-duh moment.

Comment

The stuffed leaves are popular here.
      And easily frozen too.
      Thing is, one cabbage goes a long way like that-so you'd need plenty of room in a freezer!
      "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Theres a Swedish Christmas dish which is essentially caramelised cabbage. Do a goggle search for brunkål, and translate
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

^That looks good. I've found a Danish recipe with pork and a Swedish recipe without, but which specifies white cabbage. I presume it doesn't matter (I've got loads of savoy cabbages to get through).

Comment

Did you go with Tundra variety in the end snoop? Just curious how they did in your weather, really

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
              ^That looks good. I've found a Danish recipe with pork and a Swedish recipe without, but which specifies white cabbage. I presume it doesn't matter (I've got loads of savoy cabbages to get through).
              Yeah, Savoy will work too
              https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
                Did you go with Tundra variety in the end snoop? Just curious how they did in your weather, really
                In the end, I had to keep going back to the UK to help my mum out with assorted things and the veg patch wasn't the top priority. I bought plug plants for my autumn and winter brassicas, among them Savoy king and Clarissa cabbages. Both have done extremely well... The Savoy king are massive. A friend cooked two-thirds of one for nine people and took the other third home. There was more than enough with the two-thirds for everyone to have a generous serving or two. The Clarissas have grown bigger than I expected too. To be honest, they've done so well, I'll probably buy plug plants again next year. Not sure when I put them in, possibly mid-August. They had around four to six leaves each. I half expected them not to come to much. Both varieties have lasted well in the ground as well.

When preparing the beds, I put a little granular feed in (no muck). I'll probably do the same again next year, as the broccoli heads are sizeable too. I bought those as plug plants too, but no idea what variety they are.
                Last edited by Snoop Puss; 02-02-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

I've made cabbage galette a few time it's tasty even without adding the bacon.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I really like sauerkraut and have had some keep for a good two years on the worktop (you'll have to refrigerate it at a much earlier stage of fermentation if you prefer less tang). You have to eat it straight up to get most of the health benefits, but I think it tastes even better cooked. I regularly used it to make a one-pot pasta with veggie hotdog sausages, peas, nutritional yeast, ketchup, some kind of greens and diced apples. I'd swirl the sauerkraut in at the end, after turning off the heat, in the hope it would warm through but not kill off all the good bacteria.

Comment

I know sauerkraut is good for you, but I don't have much kitchen work surface (don't even have much house) so will pass on that.

Cabbage galette sounds delicious, though. Will definitely be giving that a go. Thanks, Bren.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X