Strawberry jam

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strawberry jam

Hi could anyone give me a recipe for strawberry jam please, not sure how much sugar to fruit, thanks

not a jam expert, but I do remember strawberries are low in pectin, so tends to be runny - if I was doing it I'd use the same weight of sugar as fruit and add the juice of a few lemons, bring it up to a near boil and then do a setting test on a saucer - personally I'd rather have a tasty jam which is a bit sloppy than a set one with less flavour. (if you want some whole fruit in it, keep a few back and add them towards the eend of the process)

Comment

I have always used Delia's recipe. 4 pounds of fruit to 3 pounds of sugar and juice of one lemon. It's never let me down.

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
        I have always used Delia's recipe. 4 pounds of fruit to 3 pounds of sugar and juice of one lemon. It's never let me down.
        I do it this way too. Makes a lovely jam.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Do you use pectin powder, I tried it with that last year but it set a bit too much I prefer it slightly runny, I will try delias recipe and see how it goes, thanks for your help

Comment

Originally posted by pepper View Post
            Do you use pectin powder, I tried it with that last year but it set a bit too much I prefer it slightly runny, I will try delias recipe and see how it goes, thanks for your help
            I do not use pectin. If you want the strawberries to stay whole cover them with the sugar in the jam pan the night before you make the jam and cover with a tea towel overnight.

Comment

Thanks for your help, will give it a go and see how it turns out

Comment

I use pectin sugar, and I have tried the powder too, which I find dissolves best if it's mixed with sugar very well before added to the fruit.

Lemon doesn't always provide enough pectin, and powder pectin is a great backup.

If a jam is too hard for your liking, you can melt it back down and add water
                https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X