No announcement yet.

I'm after a food mixer / stand mixer / whatever they're called and need advice

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm after a food mixer / stand mixer / whatever they're called and need advice

Keen to buy a food mixer but am totally and utterly boggled by all the different models. Kenwood alone has loads with so many different letters and numbers I can't work them all out.

Usage will be baking in the main. For breadmaking, I make 2 kg of dough at a time, but wouldn't mind having the ability to do more. Not interested in one that comes with blender or food processor attachments as I already have dedicated gadgets for that. One that could take a pasta roller might prove popular with Mr Snoop and visitors. I don't want one that will cook either.

I guess I'm after a sturdy machine with a decent motor that will last. But not too power hungry as we live off-grid. Up to 1000 W but would prefer not more than that.

Can anyone give me any recommendations? Or suggest other factors that might determine my choice? Price isn't a big issue for this purchase, but would rather spend les than more!
    Last edited by Snoop Puss; 12-03-2019, 05:32 PM.

We have a kitchen aid that we bought several years ago. We use mainly for bread plus biscuits, pancake mix sometimes. It’s fab, had no problems with it at all. Not cheap but has been worth it for us as we use every couple of days.

Comment

Kenwood Chef...

We have my parents' cast-off. They got it as a wedding present and treated themselves to a new one for their Silver Wedding Anniversary...

Comment

I have a Kenwood Chef now, had a Kenwood Chef before that, and a Kitchen Aid before that. Kenwood definitely are stronger motors and I'd advise you get one with a motor as large as you can afford. Brilliant things - and lots of extras to buy with it!
        https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

I have a Kenwood Chef too - bought many years ago, specifically to slice apples for wine making. It was perfect for that - dropping quartered apples down the chute and they came out sliced and uniform thickness.
          It came with a Dough hook for making bread and a big mixing bowl, not a tiddly little thing.
          Lots of attachments were available, most of which are gathering dust in the cupboard - like a Wheat mill for grinding grain into flour.

This is like mine £14.99 on the Bay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-C...cAAOSw8mtchkN9
          Last edited by veggiechicken; 12-03-2019, 07:12 PM.

Comment

I love my Kenwood Chef so much that I have 3 of them two are the same as VC's link, the other is slightly newer but still uses the same attachments as the 901.
            My original one bought 40year ago stopped working while we were waiting for a the replacement motor to arrive spotted one for sale with a fair few attachments for £20, the 3rd one was a freebie that just needed a clean to get it working.
            I'd recommend one to anyone looking for a mixer.
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I bake lots of cake...and they are all made with a handheld Kenwood mixer
              I hate those big thjnfs that sit on the worktop that you don't want to use cos it's a big clean up operation!

How much will you use it? Is it just for bread dough and cake??

Comment

Kenwood chef, bought mine some 40+years ago and it’s till going strong. Did service in a coffee shop for several years when I made all the cakes. Not the cheapest I know.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                  How much will you use it? Is it just for bread dough and cake??
                  Yes, I guess that's it in the main. I have a handheld one but it seems a bit feeble for making bread dough, though.

That one on ebay looks like a bargain, VC. Goodness only knows how I'd get it here. Always possible one of the old ones would actually be sturdier than a new one. I hadn't thought of second hand or ebay. Will look into that. Not an easy thing to get transported here, though.

I was thinking about this one: Kenwood-Chef-KVC3110 (4.6 l).
                  Last edited by Snoop Puss; 13-03-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

I'm also a fan of Kenwoods. I have had a couple of ancient ones at different times in my life including one that was given to me when I lived in Spain along with a tray of eggs and a plea for a proper egg custard.
                    My latest one, about 15 years old, was bought new for me by my husband after he had 'serviced' my ancient one. (Servicing meant losing speed control completely. It would either go full speed or stop with ingredients in the bowl ending up on the walls and ceiling.)
                    I don't think the model really matters just keep them away from "helpful" spouses.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
                      Yes, I guess that's it in the main. I have a handheld one but it seems a bit feeble for making bread dough, though.

That one on ebay looks like a bargain, VC. Goodness only knows how I'd get it here. Always possible one of the old ones would actually be sturdier than a new one. I hadn't thought of second hand or ebay. Will look into that. Not an easy thing to get transported here, though.

I was thinking about this one: Kenwood-Chef-KVC3110 (4.6 l).
                      How about this one ? https://www.ebay.es/itm/Vintage-Kenw...gAAOSw~VBcUxGA

Comment

^Looks good, VC. I've had a look on ebay Spain and there are a few advertised there for delivery to Spain from the UK. Need to have a proper look. Getting a bit excited...

Comment

I spotted a few too - had to guess at the translation though.

Comment

Hmm, stick with the handheld and buy a bread maker?

Comment

^I'm not a fan of breadmaker bread... I know some people are, but I find it a bit cakey. Or at least the stuff I've had, admittedly from old machines.

OK, owning up here: went totally extravagant and bought the new one. Big indulgence, encouraged by both my mum and Mr Snoop. A lot of the ones on the Spanish ebay site wouldn't actually post to Spain. Anyway, that's my excuse. Mostly I blame my mum!

It'll be here in a few days. Trying not to be too gleeful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X