Pork chop with kidney

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pork chop with kidney

I seem to remember when I was young Mother used to give us pork chops with an embeded bit of kidney. They were yummy.
    Is my memory correct as I don't see them nowerdays.
    Do they have a name.
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

I don't think you'd see it in a supermarket, but a proper butcher would likely sort you out.
    Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
    By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
    While better men than we go out and start their working lives
    At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I found this on a website:
      "The inspector has to remove the suet from the kidney and pull it away from the spine, to inspect it for disease, so the carcass now comes back from the abbatoir with the kidney barely attached. You have to get it separately now,unless you hava local butcher on request."
      Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Like mrbadexample says, if you have a local butcher who cuts up carcasses themselves, then you could probably get some if you order them.

Edited to add: the link looks odd but it does work!
      Last edited by Snoop Puss; 06-03-2019, 04:12 PM.

Comment

My old butcher did loin chops with kidney attached but whilst liking steak & kidney I didn't want it on chops. Being a tightwad I refused to pay pork prices for offal!
        Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

When i was a lad (many moons ago) father kept 2 pigs at bottom of garden , (1 was sold and the other killed and cut up for our own use. The kidney was always left in one side loin of the pig , and a Loin joint and a couple or3 chops cut from that part..as you say Yummy roasted in pork lard with an onionMmmm.
          Gp
          Never Let the BAD be the Enemy of the GOOD

Conservation and Preservation for the Future Generation

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
            I found this on a website:
            "The inspector has to remove the suet from the kidney and pull it away from the spine, to inspect it for disease, so the carcass now comes back from the abbatoir with the kidney barely attached. You have to get it separately now,unless you hava local butcher on request."
            Whoops! Browser Settings Incompatible

Like mrbadexample says, if you have a local butcher who cuts up carcasses themselves, then you could probably get some if you order them.

Edited to add: the link looks odd but it does work!
            Its hard to find a local butcher that still kills on the premises due to legislation and labour cost etc , those that still cut up in the shop are using carcasses that were processed in an Abbotuir so still subject to inspection as would be their own slaughter facilities.
            AS FAR AS SUPERMARKETS GO ITS THE same story 'buy in big amounts and split into small portions to make maximum profit.

Comment

Originally posted by DannyK View Post
              My old butcher did loin chops with kidney attached but whilst liking steak & kidney I didn't want it on chops. Being a tightwad I refused to pay pork prices for offal!
              Can you send a link to manufacturers of 'Shrouds with pockets ' please

Comment

Originally posted by geepee View Post
                Can you send a link to manufacturers of 'Shrouds with pockets ' please
                Are they like pigs in blankets?

What put me off straight kidneys were the awful ones served at some terrible digs at Canons Park 45 years ago when I was up from Worthing doing my Tax Officer training. They stank of you know what and there was dog hair in the food! As for being tightwad maybe I'm a stereotype. A clue is in the forename!
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X