Veg curry in a Yorkshire Pudding

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veg curry in a Yorkshire Pudding

I have some veg curry and want to serve it in a yorkshire pudding.
    I cook the yorkshire in a 6 or 8 inch metal dish.
    They always rise but only occationaly do I get that perfect dish shape. Usually they are bubbly all over.
    Any idea how youn get that perfect dish shape.
    Thanks
    Jimmy
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Aunt Bessies!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Would placing a saucer in the middle part way through cooking prevent the centre from rising up?
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Seems manual intervention is needed.

Last step from a BBC recipe

When the pudding comes out of the oven, remove from the tin, flatten with the back of a large metal spoon and halve lengthways.

Comment

Did one tonight and it had a nice rim half way round.
          Suspect it might be the amount of batter. A bit more and it might have had a full rim.
          Experimenting .....
          Jimmy.

Comment

My brother in law is a Yorkshireman. He cranks oven up to max, with well greased tin in oven. Then, with jug of batter in one hand, quickly takes tin out of oven with the other, pours batter in whilst simultaneously swirling it round the tin so it coats the edges - tin is so hot that some of the batter cooks itself to the sides of the tin on the first swirl, giving that same shape to the finished pudding.

I tried it, and got batter all over the oven and floor....

Comment

As a true Yorkshirewoman (born in Barnsley) and also the eventual great maker of Yorkshire puddings my main advice is use bread flour and very hot fat (goose fat or lard) not oil. I never weigh the ingredients. just make sure you have enough egg in it. We have just had them as a starter with gravy (before slow roast lamb shoulder) and I put the batter in a square tin, 20cmx20cm, to share with my husband. The sides came up like mad and the bottom had smaller ridges............ perfection (after many early failures)

Comment

My eldest Daughter makes the perfect Yorkshire's!

I'll get the recipe and let you know

She is Yorkshire born n bread by the way!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Tried again last night.
                  More batter seemed to improve things.
                  80% rim this time.
                  Filled with chilli con carne this time.

I don't think my oven is very accurate on temperature.
                  Used a proper digital oven thermometer and 200degC only seemed to be 180degC and it had trouble maintaining that.

Anyway, surley in Preston they should be Lancashire Puddings.
                  Jimmy

Comment

I don't think you can have too hot an oven. I once had a gas oven in Spain without a thermostat that just got hotter and hotter and it made great Yorkshires. I just set mine to max now and heat the fat to smoking hot before I put the fridged batter in so that it really sizzles and the edges start to rise straight away,

Comment

Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
                      I don't think you can have too hot an oven. I once had a gas oven in Spain without a thermostat that just got hotter and hotter and it made great Yorkshires. I just set mine to max now and heat the fat to smoking hot before I put the fridged batter in so that it really sizzles and the edges start to rise straight away,
                      That's how i make my Yorkshires the scary hot fat makes all the difference and I've learnt it best to wear an apron otherwise any hot splashes put burn marks on your favourite fleece.
                      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X