Christmas food planning

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas food planning

So everything is starting to take shape. All of Christmas lunch will be off the lottie bar the turkey, all cooked by yours truly. Father-in-law will probably be in the kitchen with me as he won't get a word inbetween Mrs G and the mother-in-law.

Pots, snips, fartichokes, carrots, leeks, brussels, kale. Onions, garlic and herbs are being put in stuffings etc...

Where I am struggling is a nice starter.

I've done soups in the past, and that good old 70s stalwart prawn cocktail, smoked salmon etc, but I'm struggling to think of something light and different this year.

What is everyone else doing? I need some inspiration!
    Are y'oroight booy?

If you fancy something completely different, try sliced cold smoked ham with a salad made of a tin of fruit cocktail, drained, then mixed with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. I know it sounds weird, but it's delicious, especially as a starter Swedish delicacy!

Or... cooked beetroot mixed with apple, all cubed, mixed with mayonnaise, salt and pepper. Scrummy! Great with any cold meat too
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Me, I've started doing dips and nibbles or bits of cured meats and cheese rather than a formal starter. Can go on as long as you want if things need a bit of extra time in the oven and people can eat as much or little as they want.

Comment

I had a similiar issue still haven't completely decided. Eggs seemed to be a main option for me

quiche muffin
        a take on eggs benedict
        cloud egg, crisped bacon and tom.
        Mary Berrys's breaded and grilled halloumi

Comment

What about this. It could easily be dressed up as a starter.
          https://drizzleanddip.com/2014/02/03...illi-dressing/

Or scallops and black pudding is lovely. Was considering this one for ourselves. But just found out the guy we get the hand divided scallops off is away. Back to the drawing board.

Or you could dust off some of the old classics. Breaded deep fried Brie or stuffed mushrooms ( stuffing either Stilton or pate ) again breaded and fried.

Comment

I'm serving roast red peppers from a jar (cheap as chips in the ethnic aisle of Trashco but other shops sell them ) with crumbled Feta - went down well last year, so repeating it cos it's sooo easy to do

Comment

My Xmas favourites over the years are..
              -Slice of black pudding and cooked apple served on a bed of lettuce
              -wild mushrooms sautéed and served in a peppery, creamy sauce ...on a bed of lettuce
              -sautéed scallops served on sweet potato mash.

Twiddly bits of rocket or finely chopped chilli as required!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Baked brie or camembert with fresh herbs, garlic shards etc shoved in top (some honey works well) could be good, if you fancy it you can make jerusalem artichoke crisps to put it on (v thinly sliced artichoke drizzled in oil and baked in oven)

Comment

Not bothered with a starter, much prefer to leave extra room for puddings...…………………………...

Comment

It is a tradition[1] we have allotment-grown sprouts in Xmas day. I go and get them that morning/day before. Fry them with bacon and add a bit of chicken stock.

This year, we are off to my folks and I am leaving from work on 24th. It will be too dark to pick them that morning. If I keep them on the stick will they keep any better (I work on the theory that home-grown veggies taste good due to extreme freshness as much as anything).

I could brandish them at passers-by on the trains to get a seat...

Re starters, we are doing nibbles. Small person won't have the patience to sit at the table for a long meal.

[1] ok, not a tradition yet, this will be year 3 (and year 2 didn't work). But it will be a tradition, dammit!

Comment

Liking the sound of the cooked cheese options, hadn't really thought of that.

Really really like the sound of the scallops and black pudding, but unfortunately I'm the only one who likes black pudding and only me and Mrs G doesn't like scallops! What's wrong with people!
                      Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

christmas foods

I am a green hand in kitchen, thanks for all your great idears

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X