Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for freezing meals

Hi all,

I know it's not quite in line with the topic of the forum, but I'm looking for some resources with information on freezing whole meals, like lasagnas, casseroles, soups, etc.

Do you use recycled/repurposed plastic containers, purpose-made containers or bags, or the dish the meal will be heated in covered with plastic wrap?

I'd be very interested in any tips or resources on the topic.

Thanks!

I've got some in purchased freezable containers, some in takeaway plastic containers, some in freezer bags and some in ice cubes. I think it depends on what you are freezing.

When I batch cook spares will go in a lidded chinese takeaway carton, either in the fridge for another day or in the freezer. I've also got loads of plastic sealed lunch boxes which might house welshcakes one day or go in the freezer with homemade icecream in.

Herbs I generally chop and form into ice cubes, freeze then bag, for use later in the year. Meat I'll often split into individual portions and bag for freezing.

I think aslong as the container is suitable for freezing there shouldn't be an issue. The chinese cartons will break down and crack if left too long in the freezer. I mean like 6 months and over.
    Last edited by Mikey; 27-06-2018, 10:25 AM.
    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

Thanks, Mikey! Just the kind of information I am looking for. We have some takeaway containers (and old ice cream tubs...plural...) that I was hoping to use. I had worried about losing the food if the takeaway containers cracked, but six months is a good long window.

Comment

I have a vacuum sealer and it's fab!
        I usually buy in bulk and split them into meal sized portions for the freezer. I use the bags to store soups, meals and fruit and, because the air is taken out, there isn't any freezer burn.
        I also cook quite a few meals and take them in the camper and use them as boil in the bag meals.
        They are great for re-sealing bags of vegetables, crisp packets etc. too.
        You can buy them reasonably cheaply (£25 ish) in Lidl.
        A garden is a lovesome thing, God wot! (Thomas Edward Brown)

Comment

It's a bit hap hazard chez Kevin and Carol, Things that are just cooked too much like stews, general slop etc. go in reused margerine tubs, takeaway containers or even just zip up freezer bags as available.
          Batch cooking require organisation, ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Comment

For soups I'll pop a freezer bag into a bowl, add the soup then freeze. That way I can pop the soup brick straight into the bowl and then into the microwave.
            Last edited by Jay-ell; 27-06-2018, 12:18 PM. Reason: correcing autocorrect

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

What Mikey said. I also use heavy duty zip-lock bags and assemble the ingredients for a one pot meal and freeze, then dump in a casserole or slow cooker when needed.

Comment

Yes, I buy the cheap takeaway style boxes from Wilko, they come in 2 depths, so some choice there - plus zip-lock bags for fruit/veg and soups.

I also have a couple of bigger plastic containers for when I make pizza dough. I make 2 and top them both, then freeze one and eat one.

I'm a great fan of making things like curries, casseroles and chilli con carne in double-sized batches so I can freeze the extra portions, separately, for using later - I'm convinced it saves me loads of money, as there's never a need to buy takeaways or shop for ready meals (I might buy things I don't really need once I'm in the supermarket! )

Comment

My partner and I both typically enjoy cooking. BUT...we're busier at the moment and facing more of the same, which means I've been doing takeaways more often. I'm hoping I can master this technique for those days when I can't face the prospect of cooking and dirtying the kitchen up. Because our lasagna, chilli con carne and curries are pretty good! And cheaper and healthier than the alternative.

Comment

Well it only takes a few minutes more to cook double the quantity, so really easy to do Hope it works for you!

Comment

That's what I do ^^^^
                      Also I cook extra mashed potato, mixed veg and rice and box them up (separately!) for the freezer. Its easy then to pull out a box of curry and a box of rice - or some mash and cook a few sausages without needing to peel spuds first.

I'm still using the Lakeland freezer boxes I bought 40 years ago.............and some takeaway boxes.

Any small bits of leftover veg or curries are also frozen and I'll have them altogether on my plate - I call it a "surprise meal" - or I add liquid and call it "surprise soup"!!
                      Life's full of surprises in this house.

Comment

I bought some 600ml sturdy square plastic containers with lids fromthe supermarket. Then discovered they were exactly the right size to fit 3x3x2 in a standard freezer drawer, so went and bought another 50(!).
                        They have lasted 10 years so far, none broken, some slightly tomato coloured these days.

Cooking in batches at weekends saw me through 5 years of 2 hour each way commutes, and 1 year so far of beginners allotment gluts. For commuting years I put everything for one meal in each pot, ready to reheat (8min on high) and ‘serve’(=eat straight from plastic tub to save washing up).
                        Now I more often freeze say 2 portions of curry in each pot, and cook the rice separately when we eat it- as we often run short of freezer space in late summer!

Just one downside is that boiled potatoes and pastry do not reheat well- texture is very strange... Mash is OK though, so you can do any pie filling with mash topping and veg

Comment

jonah

You mentioned lasagne, Here's my foolproof (cough) recipe for bulk cooking... It can be used for 3 different recipes and it also makes your meat go a lot further!

How big a saucepan have you got?

You need a least a 6 lit saucepan

One 500g pack of mince £3-4

Chuck it in your pan and over a low heat bash it while it cooks slowly break it up into small pieces, while this is happening chop 4 large onions (or a net of mixed smaller which cost approx 70-80p) and add to the pan

Continue to stir and break up. While this is happening chop 2 bags of mixed or wonky peppers from preferred stores, 1 bag 90px2

Add to the pan, stir and let simmer for a couple of minutes...

Now add your preferred seasoning, salt, pepper, crushed garlic, parsley, oregano, basil, thyme etc... whatever are your preferred tastes...

While this is simmering slowly, chop up roughly into large chunks 2 punnets of mushrooms 350g approx 90px2 and add to the pan, mix again...

After a couple of minutes add 4 tins of chopped toms approx £1.40 and a jar of sauce. I use A*di garlic tomato passata sauce (lots of other sauces are available) approx £1 per jar, don't forget to rinse out the jars and cans with cold water and add enough liquid that equates to approx 1pint.

When this has come to a slow boil/simmer, crumble or dissolve 2 of your preferred beef stock cubes into the mix and let the whole lot simmer for approx 45mins.

For change you can do half beef and half pork mince adding a couple of glasses of red wine to the mix in place of liquid...

This will leave you with approx 12-16 portions of basic sauce..

For Bolognese thicken and boil spaghetti...

For Chilli add chilli powder or real chillies when the sauce is cold and reheat slowly, not forgetting the tin of kidney beans, thicken to taste and boil rice...

For Lasagne make a cheese sauce and layer prepared sauce with lasagne sheets...

I hope this makes sense, these are just the basics I use for freezing portions that I can make into different recipes, you also mentioned curry so adjust the recipe for your curries as well. Just a thought? x
                          Last edited by Earthgirl Jen; 28-06-2018, 10:34 PM.

Comment

I hadn't thought of freezing pies, but that makes sense. The rough puff pastry recipe I use says it can be frozen (before being rolled out to desired thickness). We could freeze some pie fillings doubling as stews along with unrolled pastry. I have seen several people mention mashed potatoes. I'm surprised they work so well from frozen, but happy to give them a try. The potatoes are probably looking like the best growers down at the plot.

I have also been thinking about freezing 'basics', as Jen and others have mentioned. My partner seems somehow more concerned about this idea, but we'll never know til we try.

When I moved here from the US, I laughed when I found out that the mammoth, side-by-side fridge–freezers were known as American style. Now I'm coveting my mom's huge freezer...

Comment

I freeze things like lasagna in a flat Pyrex dish.
                              Once frozen I remove it from the dish ( very quick dip in hot water) and pop it into a freezer bag.
                              Once I need to us it, I remove it from the bag and put it back into the same dish ( obviously a perfect fit!) let it defrost then microwave it or pop it in the oven to heat through.

My main aim over the coming years is to try and reduce the number of freezer bags/plastic tubs I use.
                              I do try to multiuse them but I'd rather not use them at all.
                              Remember when freezers first came out?( yes rary-I'm not THAT old)...my mom used to use those metal trays with cardboard tops. Thing is they used to get frost inside them unless they were put in a freezer bag ..hence defeating the object of trying to be plastic bag free
                              I'd love to know the answer to going plastic free in the freezer.
                              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X