Pickled Chillis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickled Chillis

This is my first time to pickle chillis.
    Can snyone tell me the dhelf life of these.
    Pickled in malt and cider vinegar,

And when your back stops aching,
    And your hands begin to harden.
    You will find yourself a partner,
    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Well I keep mine for 6 months or more...i often pickle them and store away to use at a later date, when they have matured they taste better. Although it obviously depends on the recipe, any water added etc - where did you get the recipe from Bramble?

Comment

Got the recipe on line Scarlet.
      Vinegar, bay leaves, mustard seeds, corrinder seeds, peppercorns and salt,
      I would be glad if you posted up yours as its obviously tried and tested.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

^^^same as that but I always add sugar to the pickling mixture as I would for pickled onions.

So following the same recipe that I use for pickled onions I usually salt my peppers/chillies over night. Then wash and dry off. I don't add water yo the vinegar as this reduces the PH and affects the keeping quality. Always slit skins if using whole so that the vinegar will get inside, or chop in half/slice.

600ml vinegar (cider, white wine or malt, though I find malt vinegar a bit harsh and not so pretty you can use half and half)
        150g sugar.
        Boil up the vinegar with sugar and spices - usually whatever I can find always peppercorns and mustard/coriander seeds if I have them. Same as you really.
        Let cool and pour over chillies and seal. I always include the seeds. You can pour over whilst hot and I presume these will keep longer as they will seal well but the cold method has worked ok for me. Whole cloves of garlic pickled with the peppers also add a bit of interest.

Chilli jam is also a must Bramble ...I've always got a jar on the go! You can find it in here:
        http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...pes_90239.html
        Last edited by Scarlet; 29-08-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

That sounds a nice recipe Scarlet, it makes mine look a bit primitive. I heat the jars with hot water before scalding them with boiling water. Then fill the jars with sliced jalapenos and fill to the top with boiling malt vinegar (not pickling vinegar).
          They've lasted about a year before they'd all been eaten and the last ones were fine.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Well, I wouldn't recommend eating after a year but I'm still eating "lazy" garlic that I made 3 years ago by mincing all the garlic and topping up with white wine vinegar.

I know lots of recipes don't add sugar to the pickling vinegar but I prefer the taste. You don't need all of it either as the vinegar is enough to preserve the chillies.

To sterilise the jars a warm oven is fine (I use the Aga) and I also find putting them through the dishwasher an easy option.

Comment

Thsnks so much for that Scarlet. Never thought about the ph level being affected by adding water.
              When I do the next batch I will use neat vinegar. Dont like anything sweet so try not to add sugar.
              I like the look of the chilli jam recipe and will maybe give it a try.
              Thanks sgain.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

It won't be sweet Bramble, it just takes the sour edge off the vinegar, especially if you've used malt vinegar which is a strong flavour

Comment

I have just used the first jar of pickled chillis.
                  Is there anything I can use the vinegar for.
                  Would it be safe to use it again?

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I think it's fine to use Bramble...so long as you've used a clean spoon when fishing out those chillies. I like the vinegar on my salad used in a dressing but as you've not long made them adding some more chillies should be fine too ( IMO) other peeps may have a different opinion

Comment

Here I am hijacking the thread for my own purposes in my selfish way.. I've been drying my chillies as they've ripened over the summer. I always add a couple of dried chillies to my pickled onions and they seem to pickle too. Can I just top up my whole dried chilli jar with hot or cold vinegar (and a soupcon of sugar to take the edge off - great tip!), or do they have to be fresh chillies? Also.. I'm keeping them in a jam jar, the gingham topped ones.. how full should I have it before pickling to allow for rehydration space, say half full? Apologies for diverting into dried chillies, my plant has been more steadily productive than giving gluts! As ever, deeply appreciative of your collective expertise..

Comment

Personally I wouldn't bother pickling dried chillies as they are just two alternative methods of preservation, but I don't see why you can't. I don't think you'd need much rehydration space.

Comment

I'll give it a go.. They're just dried because they ripened at different stages, and to my mind a pickled chilli is more useful and delicious than a dried one!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X