X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Chutney

Morning All

I have also put this in another forum.
    I have just started to make chutneys and was wondering if there is a formula of percentages (like when making bread) e.g. weight of fruit/veg 1kg requires ??? % of vinegar and ??? % sugar.

All the best

Phattaff
    It's not the size of the dog in the fight
    It's the size of fight in the dog

Never seen any formulas. I would have thought fruit/veg weights are going to vary a lot according to their moisture content. I tend to work from recipes from sites like Deliah Smith and wing it from there. I always find it takes for ever to simmer down!
    Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Cheers Danny

That's what the missus said but didn't know if there was some sort of rule when making chutney for example for every Kg of Veg/Fruit you need 600ml vinegar and 500grms of sugar.

Comment

This article has this info -
        "If you use sweet vegetables, such as carrots, or fruit, such as dates, you will need less sugar. Likewise, if you are using acidic tomatoes (probably not at this time of year) you can hold back on the vinegar. As a rule of thumb start with a ratio of 3kg vegetables to 1 litre vinegar and 500g sugar, then adjust for taste."
        https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...henry-dimbleby

Comment

Cheers Jane

That is exactly the kind of info i needed

All the best

Phattaff

Comment

Always be careful with reducing/changing the vinegar/sugar content within a chutney recipe though as they are the preservative in the recipe. Changing amounts can reduce the keeping quality so it's best to add more than take away.

Comment

If you prefer not to have to improvise in the kitchen, have a look in your local library or charity shops for some old cookbooks. I have found those which were printed before freezers were commonplace tend have a lot more preserving recipes than modern cookbooks, and can be a useful source of inspiration :-)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X