Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wet or dry brine for pickling onions - votes please!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet or dry brine for pickling onions - votes please!

I've always used a dry brine and had good results but I just bought a giant bag of pickling onions and read a zillion recipes which all disagree.. so which do you find gives the best crunch? I normally do dry brine and cold vinegar (with a few dried chillies tucked in) and leave them for two months. Looking forward to hearing what you all do for the perfect pickled onion!

Dry brine keeps them crisper.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I've popped a vine leaf in mine as the tannins help keep them crisp

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Oh good tip - thanks! Actually have a vine in my garden by some crazy stroke of luck

Comment

Oak leaves and bay leaves also have tanin and can be used

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
          ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
          ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Dry salt.
            Vinegar that has been brought to a simmer with a variety of herbs and spices and left over night to cool and poured over the onions cold.

Comment

I use dry brine, but any old salt will do. Usually done for about 24 hours and continually topped up. I wash off the salt and dry the onions with a paper towel, one sheet is usually plenty!

I heat up the bottles in the oven and heat up the vinegar and spices before adding it to the onions in the bottles/jars. I find that this helps seal the bottle/jar; as it cools a vacuum forms in the jar. I don't have the vinegar too hot.

Bill

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X