Can I rescue my pickled beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
    Ask away Amanda! That's what this Vine is here for ....... Bet roitelet will be back soon with her reply...!!

An orchard, lovely!! What fruit trees have you there...? A great idea incorporating veggie beds ...
    All this growing is ALWAYS a learning curve ....... and just when you think you know what you're doing, something comes along and knocks all your hard-earned theories for six.....!!!!

Oh, nearly forgot - have you any pics of your orchard you can share with us...???
    Thanks ....it's mainly apple trees, there is a sour cherry, a pear and a plum as well. I agree that growing is always a learning curve ...I have learnt so far that the birds know the instant that fruit is ripe (even before I do!) and rabbits can hunt down newly planted veggies when they are nice and juicy (I had wood and netting for my birthday to keep them out!) .....I can't grow a decent cauliflower and there is only so much lettuce two people can eat so perhaps grow less next year ....and how come when I try succession planting it all seems to catch up and is still all ready at the same time!

I am not very techie but will attempt to add a couple of photos ....both of the orchard ....on one side is my veggie area and on the other we have our hens ....
    Attached Files

Comment

The vinegar I use is L1dls cheapo brown vinegar, we can't get malt vinegar here. The acidity is 6%, boil it up with an ounce of ready mixed pickling spice to the ltr and pour the strained vinegar over the beetroot. If you like your beetroot a bit sweeter add demera sugar to taste. If all you can get is malt vinegar you may need to add sugar anyway. Then keep it for at least three months for the flavours to mellow before eating.
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Welcome to the vine Amanda.pope. I will be pickling beetroot tomorrow so was good to read the responses to your post.
        Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Pickling question

Hi from a complete newbie
          It's my first year of growing cylinder beetroots. I have a bumper harvest and have just pickled some. I found a receipe one cup cooked beetroot juice, one cup white vinegar, one cup sugar. I've put in sterilised jars. How long should I leave them before eating and is it in the fridge or a cupboard. Also when I open a jar how long will it last in the fridge. Thanks

Comment

I find Sarsons pickling vinegar too strong for beetroot too. I like using the white (colourless) distilled vinegar much better, it's usually 5% acid so strong enough to preserve and cheaper than some. The flavour is less harsh and if it's heated with some sugar (to suit your taste) it really seems to bring out the lovely flavours beetroot have. Best of all if the beetroot is sliced and not put in whole it's ready to eat in a few days to a week, though I agree with previous comments that the flavour does develop with time.

I'd defo try adding some sugar to your jars and possibly topping up with distilled vinegar to mellow the Sarsons.
            Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X