dehydrators, wish I had never heard of them

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehydrators, wish I had never heard of them

I still am very new on here, and came on to find out more about fruit trees which is happening
    just looked at this thread now I have done about 6 hours of research on here and everywhere else
    didn't want one ,never heard of one , didn' know what they were for
    Now I need one, can't even do without one, will be in love with dried cherries, I just know it
    can't be doing with the small starter one as I know what I am, I'm a passionate person , so it has to be a rectangula one with fan at the back , if only I was poping over to america I could save loads on import tax and postage, ah well, why is stuff so cheap over there!

anyone use an excaliba or similar one , I think a small excaliba one might suit me I would like a larger one but its too much to fill except at the height of the season
    any advice !!

Yeah, go with your gut instinct and get the best you can afford
    I bought a small cheap one (forgotten the name!) though my Mum stole it I use the slow oven in the Aga for drying stuff. I wouldn't be without the fruit leathers....

Comment

I did the same and decides I needed rectangular, multi-tray, fan-at-back.

But as I do in similar scenarios I bought a cheap model, but one with sufficient reputation to do a decent enough job, and bought that; if it becomes critical in my life I then use the new-found knowledge & experience to choose & buy the model that best suits my needs.

I rarely use my dehydrator now. Dried apple slices have amazing flavour, but I don't like them THAT much, I prefer a fresh apple - which I can buy 365 days of the year in the Supermarket ... I dry my Chillies in mine, but friend freeze theirs ... and so on.
      K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

I've got a cheap round one. Hate to buck your trend, but I love it. This month I am mostly enjoying my own intense strawberry slices on my morning porridge and whacking OH's sticky paws if he tries to snaffle any. I can't grow enough courgettes to feed our courgette crisp addiction and a jar of apple rings will vanish in hours. In summer we add in pineapple, carrots, parsnips and beetroot to the trays.

Next year I am planning a foray into the world of fruit leathers, and drying tomato skins for powder.
        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

Not listening, I can't I already have enough stuff in my house. I still fall in the area of what's that, do I need one!!

lalalalalalaallaalalalalalalala.......!
          I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

I have an Andrew James rectangular digital dehydrator which comes with y trays. It cocked out just before Xmas (probably because I kept it on my microwave and the heat buggered it up) however the company did replace it quickly.

I was at a loss as i wasn't able to do anything -especially as dehydrated apples, toms amd strawberries were on Xmas lists.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
            ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
            ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Kristen View Post
              I did the same and decides I needed rectangular, multi-tray, fan-at-back...
              this is my problem will I need it in two years time
              although fruit leathers as mentioned before are going to be out of this world when I learn to make them
              Last edited by scarey55; 14-01-2015, 09:26 AM. Reason: Edited to fix quotes.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala.

Not listening, I can't I already have enough stuff in my house. I still fall in the area of what's that, do I need one!!

lalalalalalaallaalalalalalalala.......!

But Really you should have one ,

Comment

To be honest, apart from price there isn't much difference between the round and rectangular ones. The fruit and veg I dehydrate isn't rectangular and fruit leathers don't have to be...Round works just as well and saves you £££.

Comment

You now sound like Mrs Doyle from Father Ted,

'Would you have one Father?'

'Ahhh, no thanks Mrs Doyle'.

'Ahhhh go on,'
                    'go on....'
                    'go on, go on, go on, go on.....!'

I really really don't need to know any more about them....really. I have a yoghurt maker, and I don't make yoghurt.
                    I'm only here cos I got on the wrong bus.

Comment

But this would mean that you could not make yoghurt with home made not dehydrated fruit

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Mikey View Post
                        You now sound like Mrs Doyle from Father Ted,

'Would you have one Father?'

'Ahhh, no thanks Mrs Doyle'.

'Ahhhh go on,'
                        'go on....'
                        'go on, go on, go on, go on.....!'

I really really don't need to know any more about them....really. I have a yoghurt maker, and I don't make yoghurt.
                        You've rumbled my cunning plan...

Comment

I too love my cheapo model, only paid about £26 for it years ago and it gets used every year. Mainly to dry mushrooms, fruit and herbs to properly dry but also to do sundried level tomatoes. Don't use it for leathers much as they don't tend to last long enough for the amount of fruit they use

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
                            there isn't much difference between the round and rectangular ones. The fruit and veg I dehydrate isn't rectangular and fruit leathers don't have to be...Round works just as well and saves you £££.
                            The difference, assuming that the fan is at the back on the rectangular ones, is that on a stacked circular one the tray nearest the heater gets hot, dry, air, whereas the trays furthest away get moist hot air. Thus the drying time, and amount of dryness, is different for the trays.

For the fan-at-the-end ones all trays have the same hot, dry air. This makes a difference if there are a lot of trays, so more suitable to doing larger quantities perhaps.

There may also have been some benefits from the max temperature of the rectangular ones when I did my research, some years ago, but memory is now hazy on that.
                            K's Garden blog the story of the creation of our garden

Comment

How about chucking your fruit into the tumble drier?
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X