No announcement yet.

dehydrators, wish I had never heard of them

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bought a small 5 tray round one from Westphalia about 4 years ago and couldn't be happier. Has dried loads of apples, strawberries, mushrooms, hops, veg crisps, onion, fruit leathers, chillies and made biltong and beef jerky.
    the only disadvantage of the cheaper version is that is advisable to shuffle the trays to keep the drying even and to use a plug in timer as there is no timing function.
    don't be afraid to innovate and try new things
    remember.........only the dead fish go with the flow

Another certified member of the Nutters club

Comment

Now I want one...!!

Comment

Originally posted by vixylix View Post
        Now I want one...!!
        Me too!

Quidco very kindly offered £10 bonus if I used them to make a purchase and Rakuten have 15% off today so I've just ordered an Andrew James one. I didn't want to shell out loads but I really wanted to try one and this seemed like a good deal...£39.99 - 15% - £3.65 points I already had = £30.34, less the £10 from Quidco makes it a grand total of £20.34.

Would have been rude not to.

Now to find out what I can do with it.
        Last edited by gardening_gal; 30-03-2016, 08:57 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

you are all evil enablers...I've wanted one for ages but now it feels REASONABLE not insane...is this some kind of group addiction?
          Thoughts: I make fruit leathers already, £££ as oven stays on so long so, really, I NEED a dehydrator. Hmm
          Also: no spare room, no garage, no conservatory...I need a cheap 'un. Have people tried Lakeland? What's the fave cheaper version? Please tell me. I'm a desperate Grape.

Comment

yes it's one out one in. But then I also want an ice cream maker. Help

Comment

Oh my... the husband brought me a book by Alys Flowers 'Abundance' is now surprised I want to buy machines to make what I have read about tee hee. Now I have this thread to share too tee hee....

Plus we have 3 apple and two pears trees put in by the previous owner of our house!!!!!!.
              Last edited by lmayhow; 02-06-2016, 05:27 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by BroadRipple View Post
                .I need a cheap 'un. Have people tried Lakeland? What's the fave cheaper version? Please tell me. I'm a desperate Grape.
                I have a Lakeland one - from Freecycle last year
                Apparently it had had 2 previous owners who both thought it took for ever to dry food. I haven't tried it yet as I didn't want to risk my precious tomatoes in it, if it didn't work properly.
                Maybe this year I'll be brave!

Comment

Just got a dehydrator and have my first batch on, in garage. Does anyone have a link to a good website or forum on dehydrating?

Comment

Can't recommend any forums but I've started using a dehydrator this year. Everything I've tried has been a success except raspberries - they were large, juicy ones from the supermarket (reduced to very cheap) but even after about 3 days in the dehydrator they were still only partially dry. Had to give them up as a bad job. Chucked them in a kilner jar and filled it up with gin. Mmmmm, yummy.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                      I have a Lakeland one - from Freecycle last year
                      Apparently it had had 2 previous owners who both thought it took for ever to dry food. I haven't tried it yet as I didn't want to risk my precious tomatoes in it, if it didn't work properly.
                      Maybe this year I'll be brave!
                      Still in the cupboard - still not brave enough to try it.

Comment

I was given one for last birthday, and have been trying a few things.
                        Decided fruit leather was a faff, stewing, sieving, 2 days in machine then another 2 days to get them out of/cleaned off the machine...
                        Courgettes and potatoes look ok, but have yet to rehydrate and use them. Might try beans this weekend given the rain we had tonight there’s bound to be good pickings!

Comment

I've been eating a bought granola with dried strawberries & raspberries in it. Also mixing in some fresh raspberries.
                          The dried ones taste like cardboard, the fresh ones like raspberries. They are alive, vital, fresh - the dried ones could be made from polystyrene, tinted pink for all I know.
                          I don't think dehydrated food and I have a future together.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                            I've been eating a bought granola with dried strawberries & raspberries in it. Also mixing in some fresh raspberries.
                            The dried ones taste like cardboard, the fresh ones like raspberries. They are alive, vital, fresh - the dried ones could be made from polystyrene, tinted pink for all I know.
                            I don't think dehydrated food and I have a future together.
                            Being a bit hard on yourself. The Berry fruit is freeze dried, not dehydrated. I dehydrate apples, strawberries every year. Get them to the stage where they just snap but also just chewy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                              I was given one for last birthday, and have been trying a few things.
                              Decided fruit leather was a faff, stewing, sieving, 2 days in machine then another 2 days to get them out of/cleaned off the machine...
                              Courgettes and potatoes look ok, but have yet to rehydrate and use them. Might try beans this weekend given the rain we had tonight there’s bound to be good pickings!

You don't need to stew. Blitz in a blender and onto the mat. 12 to 18 hrs tops. Cut with pizza cutter and they lift off. The silicon sheet is a bit of a faff to clean, but over top of dishwasher and its done.

Comment

Originally posted by Kier View Post
                                negotiated successfully (made an offer that couldn't be refused) picking a 9 tray excalibur with timer , pick up on sunday, not much to try at the moment but will have plenty to try later or in mid season it will be up for sale again not

anyway wasn't my fault, they shouldn't have accepted my offer so what could I do, can't get a bad name on ebay can I
                                Use the smaller one. It is limited for Yogurt making and could do with extra trays for dried apples.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X