Crab Apple glut

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crab Apple glut

I need to make the most of my crabs! My 2 trees are laden with fruit this year. I have got my first lot of cooked fruit straining away downstairs. I am planning to make the usual plain crab-apple jelly, some flavoured with rosemary for lamb, sage for pork. I need some more ideas though. I JUST LOVE THE STUFF! I now cook my fruit in the pressure cooker - half fill the pan with crabs, just cover with water and cook on high pressure for about 30-35 mins, let the pressure down slowly, then mash in the pan with a potato masher, then strain your fruit in the normal way - perfect
    Just think happy thoughts

Chilli jelly?

Comment

I use mine for chilli jelly, spiced (with cloves and the like) jelly, mint jelly and some mixed with other berries. Use some of the sieved pulp for fruit cheese too.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Ooh great ideas on here today! My little crab apple tree has approx 40 teeny weenies this year - so I should get a jar of something lovely yay!
        You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Originally posted by bussinspain View Post
          I have got my first lot of cooked fruit straining away
          Me too.
          I like the sound of the rosemary & the chilli versions. When do you put the extras in? With the apples or after the straining. How much would you put in as well? Quite new to this preserving stuff. Sorry for high jacking your topic bussinspain.

Comment

To be honest you can do it any way you like, there isn't a right or wrong way and it's good to make a few variations to decide which ones you prefer. So I often to it both ways (not much help!)

For herb jellies, I heat the apple juice and sugar to near setting point (1pint juice to 1lb sugar) add about 2tablespoons of white wine vinegar, boil for a few more mins. Take off heat and stir in the chopped herbs. Looks lovely though if you use whole sage leaves...

For the chilli jelly, I'll add the chillies and boil for a minute or two?

I make a grape and rosemary jelly, for this I don't like any bits in the jelly so I'll add the rosemary to the grapes before boiling and straining. Sometimes I'll just add a sprig of rosemary in just before sealing. Looks gorgeous.

Apple and elderberry jelly is lovely too.
            Last edited by Scarlet; 05-09-2014, 05:32 PM.

Comment

For the sage and chilli jelly that I made yesterday I picked the sage leaves and scalded them in boiling water, then I cut up just ONE (as they are HOT HOT HOT) habanero orange chilli and blanched that also. I then very finely cut them up and mixed the 2 together. I added 1 level teaspoon of the sage/chilli mix to each small jam jar and covered everything with crab jelly - hey presto. Then I made the stupid mistake of licking the dammed spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This mix is for my OH as he loves hot stuff! He has also requested rosemary and chilli crab jelly.
              Just think happy thoughts

Comment

I put some herbs or chilli in with the apples when I cook them up and then put some more chopped finally after the jelly has reached setting temp, stirred through just before putting in jars.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by bussinspain View Post
                  Then I made the stupid mistake of licking the dammed spoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This mix is for my OH as he loves hot stuff!
                  I made a load with some habaneros last year. I usually add peppers to give colour and chilli for the heat. Anyway, I didn't have peppers so I used loads of chillies OMG I've only been able to cook with it and I love it on a cheese board
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 05-09-2014, 07:55 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X