Making preserves using a juicer

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making preserves using a juicer

Hi all, just tried making a bramble jam using my juicer to prep the fruit and noticed that it tastes a lot nicer than the bramble jelly I made using the normal method last week. So thought I would share

I juiced 2 1/2 lbs of foraged blackberries. With my juicer (a vertical Hurom) this produced 3 things:

thick juice (in the juice container)
    the seeds and some pulp (in the pulp container)
    strained pulp (in the sieve)

What I decided to do was use the strained pulp in with the juice. This came to 1 1/2 pints, so I added 1lb 4oz of preserving sugar and boiled it all up in the normal jam/jelly making way.

The resulting jam is absolutely delicious. It's not clear, of course, like a strict jelly (though if you wanted that, you could just use the juice and get a bit more by straining the pulp in a muslin overnight).

What's noticeable is that because the juice was got without boiling, everything has had a shorter cooking time and the fresh taste of the blackberries in the jam is much stronger.

So I'd recommend this method if you have a juicer, folks. YUM!
    My Autumn 2016 blog entry, all about Plum Glut Guilt:

http://www.mandysutter.com/plum-crazy/

I did something similar last year using the colander/sieve attachment with my Kenwood chef it made a nice spreadable jam without any seeds.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I use the steam juicer I have that fits on top of my pasturiser to produce the juice I use for jellies, gets more juice and is much quicker / easier and guarantees clear jellies. On the whole I prefer the texture of jams but I do like a bit of crab apple or mint jelly in winter.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I'm a crab apple jelly fan, I also love grape and rosemary jelly which adds a great flavour to sauces but for fruit like blackberries or raspberries I don't like to waste anything so jam all the way!

Comment

It's good to hear about other possibilities and strikes me it could be a thing to do with redcurrants too. I really like the processes involved in making a jelly but I do find it painful to throw the pulp away!

Comment

You can make fruit cheese with the pulp

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

...and butters!

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
              It's good to hear about other possibilities and strikes me it could be a thing to do with redcurrants too. I really like the processes involved in making a jelly but I do find it painful to throw the pulp away!
              I often add the apple to other fruit to stretch it. The cores and skins go for making jellies, add any herbs or chillies. Most people love them for gifts. Crab apple jelly though is a lovely rose colour - gorgeous
              Last edited by veggiechicken; 27-08-2014, 09:46 PM. Reason: Fixing quote ;)

Comment

You can add white vinegar to the pulp/pips/skins and make fruit vinegar. A bit like this recipe Nigel Slater's classic raspberry vinegar recipe | Life and style | The Observer

Comment

I'd never heard of fruit butters or cheeses, nor tasted any. Have just looked them up on tinternet. They sound intriguing!

Comment

How about fruit leathers? They are really lovely

Comment

Oh, wow, just looked those up too. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X