Dehydrating Food

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehydrating Food

Sorry peeps! Probably been posted on here a few thousand times before!

But I have managed to pick up a "Food Dehydrator" from work today, with a view to preserving at the end of the season!

All new to me!

Obviously people have used em! Benefits? Good or bad? Are they worth having? Not much research done on my part to be fair! A bit of a last minute find! But shall have a "Delve" when time permits!

Any thoughts appreciated!

(Think I posted this on the right thread! )
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

There are a few threads on here sometimes but I have no idea how to use the search on the app. I have one which us mainly used for mushrooms, herbs, leathers, tomatoes to sun dried level and fruit too. Still have some sliced strawbs from last year which are great in cakes. Also dried courgette gluts and ground to powder for use in sauces.

Sent from my iPad using Grow Your Own Forum

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
      Sorry peeps! Probably been posted on here a few thousand times before!

But I have managed to pick up a "Food Dehydrator" from work today, with a view to preserving at the end of the season!

All new to me!

Obviously people have used em! Benefits? Good or bad? Are they worth having? Not much research done on my part to be fair! A bit of a last minute find! But shall have a "Delve" when time permits!

Any thoughts appreciated!

(Think I posted this on the right thread! )
      You find lots of stuff at work Deano lol ".............
      Nannys make memories

Comment

Cheers Alison!
        Once dried! Do ya bag em n freeze? Sorry! As I said! All new to me!
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Nannysally99 View Post
          You find lots of stuff at work Deano lol ".............
          "Nanny" it's the only reason I stay there!

Comment

Dry and then bag them, no need to freeze if they're dehydrated enough. Mushrooms are superb with their concentrated flavour and pears, apples and pineapples dry really well. Also a great way to make use of onions etc. when they start sprouting.
            Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Herbs are great too
              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Cheers "Mr Bones" a dark cupboard once jarred then?

Comment

Cheers "Redthorn" was gunna sow herbs this week, but work got in the way! As well as my missus "Rollicking" me having a shelf full of seedlings! They cause "Flies" ya know!

Comment

Usually when the soul is too damp.....
                    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Any good recipes for dehydrating tomatos sundry style

Sent from my iPhone using Grow Your Own Forum

Comment

If you're drying herbs, it might be good to check your dehydrator goes to a low enough temperature. 40C and above apparently turns them brown, 35C is recommended.

Hope you enjoy it - mine is purring away in the background making lovely apple rings dusted with cinnamon. Yum!
                        http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X