Any cure for Jam too sweet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any cure for Jam too sweet?

Is there a good fruit to sugar ratio? I used a greengage Jam recipe put out by Waitrose - 1.5 kg fruit to 1.5 kg sugar and it really is too sweet for me. Burnt thumb, sticky kitchen floor and jam I don't like (break in on the lottie again... really not having a very good day) Where is the sit in the corner for a good cry smilie? Or should we create a selection of weepies?
    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

I made greengage jam the other week. Used equal amounts of fruit and sugar. It was lovely, but then again I might have a sweeter tooth than you
    Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Interesting question, J, I don't know the answer, hope an expert jam-maker will respond... For the moment some on-going thoughts. There are (at least) 2 sorts of greengages, "traditional" and "modern" - trad are smaller and sharper, mod larger and sweeter. I have one of each and though I've never used them for jams it's a noticeable difference in taste... From what you say I suspect you'd prefer the trad variety (from memory called "Old Fashioned") if you can get hold of those next time.

The general problem is that the equal sugar preserves (though there are diabetic jams with reduced/no sugar so might be worth investigating how they do that). An expert might also know of additions to add at the preparatory stages.

Two suggestions to solve the immediate problem... use the jam for something where its sweetness will be less noticeable than on morning toast, e.g. in cakes, puds etc. And if you want to use it on toast (bit faddy, do only in small quantities as needed) thoroughly mix a spoonful of the jam in a small bowl with a squirt of lemon juice, adjust to taste, use immediately.... I've just tried it, was quite tasty. b.

ps And if none of those suggestions any good take unwanted jam in jars to the lottie and throw hard at anyone breaking in.....

Comment

What a star answer BB!! Will try out suggestions. Big chuckle at the ps. Now turned on telly and my fave wartime kitchen garden proggie on!!! Day turned out better in the end.
        Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

I was always led to believe it was an lb to an lb (uncertain as to grammar here) with pretty much any fruit you care to mention.
          1lb of sugar to 1lb fruit.

Taking the sugar back out might prove difficult, so using in other things could well be the option for this particular batch, unless of course you're busy fending off lottie vandals with them.
          Bob Leponge
          Life's disappointments are so much harder to take if you don't know any swear words.

Comment

If you reduce the sugar in jam it won't keep. Your gages must have been a desert variety. Harder, less ripe ones will not only set better but give a less sweet end product. I don't really like low sugar jams - they need keeping in the fridge or they mould.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X