Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mango & Red Onion Chutney - how long will this keep?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mango & Red Onion Chutney - how long will this keep?

I found this recipe which I like the sound of but it doesn't give any indication of how long it will store for. It has a much smaller volume of vinegar than the ones I'm used to making, what do you think?

Mango & Red Onion Chutney

* 1/4 cup olive oil
    * 2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    * 1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
    * 4 mangoes (3 lb), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
    * 1 cup canned unsweetened pineapple juice
    * 1/2 cup cider vinegar
    * 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
    * 1 tablespoon curry powder
    * 1 1/2 teaspoons dried hot red pepper flakes
    * Coarsely ground black pepper

Heat oil in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then sauté onions, stirring frequently, until softened. Add bell pepper and ginger and sauté, stirring, 1 minute.

Stir in mangoes, pineapple juice, vinegar, brown sugar, curry powder, and red pepper flakes. Simmer,stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes. Season with salt and coarse pepper, then cool. Serve chutney at room temperature.

It sounds like the sort that you make to serve with a curry, not a keeping type. It might keep for a little while in the fridge, or freeze?
    Or, you could have a go at adapting the ingredients to fit the proportions of your usual chutney recipe?

Comment

Thanks Sarz, I thought that, perhaps I could drop the pineapple juice and increase the sugar and vinegar quantities?

Comment

Yes, probably, although it's a shame because the pineapple probably adds something to the flavour.
        Try using any chutney recipe which is for keeping, and stick to the quantities of sugar and vinegar that it says, but then substitute the total weight of produce/dried fruit etc, with the same weight of ingredients chosen from the above recipe. (Does that make sense?!) Basically, as long as the proportions of sugar & vinegar to other ingredients is maintained, it doesn't matter what those ingredients are.

Comment

Originally posted by amandaandherveg View Post
          Thanks Sarz, I thought that, perhaps I could drop the pineapple juice and increase the sugar and vinegar quantities?
          You could always add fresh or tinned pineapple if you want to keep that flavour, Amanda, increasing sugar and vinegar to more of a 'proper' chutney recipe. It sounds rather lovely - might try it myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X