Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What can I use instead of pickling spice?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can I use instead of pickling spice?

oops! have 5,000,000 green tomatoes (blight) to use up. Am now onto my 4th concoction and realise I need pickling spice....I have none! What can I use instead please?

Anything you fancy Peppercorns, mustard seeds, coriander, cloves, star anise, celery seeds

Comment

I always make my own pickling spice based around whatever I fancy. Usually involves some peppercorns, corriander seed, garlic, cardomon etc etc. Sometimes also add some bruised root ginger and broken up dried chillies.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

oh i never knew that! how do i know which to use?

Comment

Guess?! I suppose it's down to what you have in the cupboard, and whether you like it or not...
          I don't always use cloves, because I'm not that keen on them, but always use mustard seeds and coriander. I tried juniper berries once, but I didn't like that so didn't bother again.

Comment

If you're not too sure then just use a little bit and don't boil it up for so long. You're probably better going for a weaker flavour to start with and then building it up next time.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

The 'pickling spice' I bought years back seemed to include black peppercorns, white peppercorns, allspice, small whole dried chillies, mustard seed, more of the earlier listed. Can't remember what else but that is a good start.
              Flowers come in too many colours to see the world in black-and-white.

Comment

Schwartz pickling spice listed ingredients are: Coriander seed (40%), Yellow mustard seed, dried chillies, Allspice, ginger, black peppercorns (5%), Bay leaves (4%). I also like to add a few cloves as I like the warm taste. It's worth experimenting with the basic mix according to what you like.

Comment

You learn something every day, I didn't know you could buy ready mixed pickling spice, have always just made up my own depending on what I fancied!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X