can you make chutney in a slow cooker

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can you make chutney in a slow cooker

was just wondering can you make chutney in a slow cooker as i love my slow cooker and wondered if i could do them in it?

No idea but am slightly confused as to why you'd want to?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I think it would go very 'soupy' as the ingredients would break down too much. Also and the liquids wouldn't reduce (and so thicken the chutney) as the lid would keep everything in. I'd stick with a berry pan or soup/stock pot.

Comment

why? just a thought really
        thanks amanda

Comment

I think it might also depend on the kind of chutney you are making. Stuff with courgettes and tomatoes would go mushy, but if you are using a lot of onions (eg like the more indian style chutneys) it might be ok. The only way to find out for sure is experiment...!

Reb

Comment

Mariell, for what it's worth the "Cordon Bleu Slow Cooker Recipe Book" (I have this library of cookery books, it's about time I weaned myself off Pot Noodles...) reckons you CAN make Chutney in the Slow Cooker (but then "maybe they would, wouldn't they?"). The particular one they list includes skinned toms, peeled/cored cooking apple, onions, garlic, dried fruit, dem sugar, malt vinegar and a range of spices including curry powder, cayenne and mustard seeds. They slow cook for 3-4 hours and then, somewhat simplistically, say "pour into pots and cover".

Not to be outdone on other fronts too, they also claim lemon/orange curds are possibilities and even various marmalades and jams, though in those particular cases they have to admit defeat after 3-4 hours of slow cooking with final instructions to "Turn contents of crock into large preserving pan, add sugar..., boil rapidly until setting point is reached."

Hmmmm.... as Tommy Cooper used to say, "Just like that!"

b.

ps - so do you make CAKES in your Slow Cooker?

Comment

thanks bazzaboy
              nope i havent tried cakes in the hotpot ....yet
              i do stew, joints of meat, soup in it though and ive made a wicked rice pudding in it
              i think i will stick to the pan for all my stuff...i just wondered if i could use the hotpot for anything else..lol

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X