No announcement yet.

freezing chillies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The tupperware carton I use for freezing is strangely in the shape of a carrier bag knotted at the top with a big Tesco sign on the side!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Like Alice I freeze them whole and scoop out the seeds. I have always believed that the seeds were the hottest part, in which case it would be too hot for me, but if I am wrong it would be good to know and save some time as well as hot fingers!

Comment

Well, harvested the rest of my chillies from teh plants in the greenhouse thingy.

A mixture of Cayenne, Jalepeno, Twilight and Purple Tiger. Myriad of colours too.

Looks like I'm boxing and freezing them them. Was just going to dry them, but then realised quite a few are not yet ripe. Plus it's nice to have some green ones innit?
        A simple dude trying to grow veg. http://haywayne.blogspot.com/

BLOG UPDATED! http://haywayne.blogspot.com/2012/01...ar-demand.html 30/01/2012

Practise makes us a little better, it doesn't make us perfect.

What would Vedder do?

Comment

yep freezing is a good way to go i always grow way too many i had 20 different varieties this year but alot of my friends call round for some all through the year and i have just finished using last years i think i may have to get a freezer just for chillis. i do find that sometimes the seeds turn a funny colour but if it is going into a curry or chilli then it is not going to matter and no one will know!!!

Comment

An interesting thread, i found it very useful. Thanks all
            "He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"

Comment

I've a few bags frozen, will probably take me a year to get through them all
              Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Originally posted by lainey lou View Post
                I don't know if any of you watched economy gastronomy last week, but on the show they suggested freezing chillies whole by chucking them in a tupperware in the freezer, sounds too good to be true!! Has anyone tried this?
                Works a treat, Lainey Lou; just chop them up and chuck them in whatever you're making. If you want the seeds out, that's easier to do when they're frozen too. They defrost very quickly. I have used them from frozen for both chilli jam and chutney and am still using last year's - no! the year before last's - freezer stored chillies. (Had a really heavy crop in 2008! )

Comment

Just used 5 from frozen in a curry, they cut like a dream by the time I walk from the deep freezer to the kitchen. Cut the stalks off and throw them in the recycle bin. I slice the whole chilli and every one comments on how I get perfect circles of chilli (including seeds) in my dishes.

I tell them it's an old family secrete.

Comment

Hottest Part of a chilli

Originally posted by annacruachan View Post
                    Like Alice I freeze them whole and scoop out the seeds. I have always believed that the seeds were the hottest part, in which case it would be too hot for me, but if I am wrong it would be good to know and save some time as well as hot fingers!
                    It is a general misconception that the seed is the hottest part, the seed only contains a small amount of capsaicin, the chemical that makes them spicy. most of it is in the inside of the skin, and the parts (membrane) that the seeds hold on to.

I will be hopefully freezing some of mine this year since reading this.
                    so thanks a lot all! I LOVEEEEEE CHILLI! lol.

Darren.
                    Chilli Grower
                    mmmmmm Spicy Chilli.....
                    +----------------------------------+
                    | Blog: http://www.dg83.com/blog/|
                    +----------------------------------+

Comment

I have always just frozen mine,

I leave the stalk on so that it is easier to chop without getting the juice on my fingers.
                      I find that if you do a quick curry or chilli recipe it flavours quicker with frozen than dried.

Mizjazzi

Comment

I bag mine into batches of 20 and chuck them in the freezer as they come - no preparation required.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I tend to dry mine and to use them just soak them in boiling water for a few minutes before chopping, will have to try freezing them whole if it works and when I have a working freezer again.
                          Plum chutney recipe.

Can be modified to make any chutney

Comment

My chillies are freezing - chilly they are
                            Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better...Albert Einstein

Blog - @Twotheridge: For The Record - Sowing and Growing with a Virgin Veg Grower: Spring Has Now Sprung...Boing! http://vvgsowingandgrowing2012.blogs....html?spref=tw

Comment

What a great thread. Didn’t know that you could freeze them so if I manage to actually get a decent crop, I will be doing this.

Kind Regards..........Rob

Comment

I have always frozen mine, actually ones I have bought as I have never grown them before but I hope to do so this year. I freeze them whole and put them in a ziplock bag and put them in the door of the freezer for easy access

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X