No announcement yet.

Making Your Own Yoghurt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make mine in a two pint thermos flask.

Fill thermos to within two inches of the top (this allows room for the addition of the starter yoghurt) with full fat pasteurised milk.

Empty the milk from the thermos into a pan, rinse out the thermos, refill with boiling water and screw on the lid.

To the milk in the pan add 2 tablespoons of dried milk - I use M@rvel as it seems to be the only one that tastes like real milk - and whisk gently to dissolve.

Heat the milk gently to 46°C (112 - 114°F). The temperature is quite important - too cool and the yoghurt culture won't grow, too warm and it will die. I find it best to heat until the temperature probe reads 36°C then take the pan off the heat. The residual heat in the pan will generally continue to heat the milk to 46°C. If you leave it on the heat until the probe registers 46C the temperature will continue to climb and you'll have to wait for it to cool again.

Whisk in about 125ml (a standard sized individual pot) of plain organic live yoghurt. I too use Yeo Valley Organic.

Empty the hot water out of the thermos and pour the milk straight in. Screw on the top and leave for 12 hours - longer if you prefer a stronger flavour.

Tip out of the thermos into muslin or cheesecloth, suspend from a hook or chairback over a bowl and leave to drip for 20 - 30 minutes. Turn out into a bowl or pot.

Presto! Greek yoghurt.

Don't forget to set aside 125ml to start your next yoghurt.
    Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
    Endless wonder.

Comment

https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-orders...ntId=DgvRtw6HN

This one.
      But my gf broke it so I'm considering which other to buy.
      Sorry for slow reply. I get no notifications ��

I'm reading the replies here and I'll definitely try the yeo valley organic entire small pot and let my mill cool more. Also I'll use whole milk instead of semi as suggested.

I'm going to take on board all advice. I eat a ton of yoghurt so should save money if I can make my own ��

Comment

So just a thermos �� would be excellent if it works would save me ££ on a yoghurt machine as i already have a few thermos. I guess the temperature has to stay above 46 and the thermos is going to get gradually cooler, is why I'm somewhat sceptical.
        Interesting step to add marvel? For the extra sugar fit the bacteria to eat?

One final thing. When you say kitchen hook what is the? I was going to use of of those jars with the metal clamp around the rim.

Comment

Originally posted by redkoatz View Post
          https://www.amazon.co.uk/your-orders...ntId=DgvRtw6HN

This one.
          But my gf broke it so I'm considering which other to buy.
          Sorry for slow reply. I get no notifications ��

I'm reading the replies here and I'll definitely try the yeo valley organic entire small pot and let my mill cool more. Also I'll use whole milk instead of semi as suggested.

I'm going to take on board all advice. I eat a ton of yoghurt so should save money if I can make my own ��
          FYI - Link takes you to "Your Orders Page" not the product page

Kitchen Hook . Some people have a handy hook for hanging meat or game birds from. Other option is to use a Jelly Bag Stand or a brush handle and 2 chairs to hang bag from. . Or even a big jar. All will work.
          Last edited by 4Shoes; 14-08-2018, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by redkoatz View Post
            So just a thermos �� would be excellent if it works would save me ££ on a yoghurt machine as i already have a few thermos. I guess the temperature has to stay above 46 and the thermos is going to get gradually cooler, is why I'm somewhat sceptical.
            Interesting step to add marvel? For the extra sugar fit the bacteria to eat?
            I find that a "proper" vaccuum flask, with the glass liner works well, it's still warm twelve hours later because you have pre-warmed it with the boiling water. The wide necked food vaccuum flasks that don't have the glass liner (some sort of plastic I think?) don't seem to hold the heat so well.

I've no idea of the reasoning behind the dried milk, could be as you say for extra sugar, all I know is it makes the yoghurt nice and thick. then if you strain it through muslin, you can end up with yoghurt the consistency of clotted cream. Yum! But I don't usually let it drain quite that long.

Check the consistency after ten minutes and keep doing that until it is as thick as you want. Of course, the more whey that is drained out, the less volume of yoghurt you end up with.
            Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
            Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X