Keeping leaves fresh

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping leaves fresh

Was just wondering how others keep leaves fresh that they are not eating that day. My leaves are usually grow at my allotment, so I harvest what is ready when I'm there but it's not always for eating that day. Also my fridge is often short on space.

I find that kale and chard/perpetual spinach keep much better in a vase on the counter out of the sun (just like a bunch of flowers) than they would in the fridge. Water needs changing every day, but it keeps really fresh like this - no wilting at all. I just chop off the bottom 2cm or so of stalk and carry on as if I'd just plucked it.

I might go a bit mad this season and start putting edible flowers in the vase to make an edible bouquet!

I'd love to know how others store lettuce leaves. I haven't cracked that yet. Or am I being optimistic there?

I tend to just put lettuce in a plastic bag in the fridge.
    Other leaves get washed in very ćold water and put into a plastic bag in the fridge without drying them.

I like the idea of a vase of chard etc! Not thought of doing that, although I do have my grannie's celery vase which is used pretty regularly.
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I do the same as you two, lettuce gets a rinse goes in a salad spinner then placed in a 'click an seal' box, chard and kales in a jug of water I also the same with celery.
      Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Well I just lost myself in a celery vase internet rabbit hole. I had never heard of them. 😆

You know it had never occurred to me to wash lettuce before putting it in the fridge. I had always assumed it would wilt. I don't think I have any evidence for that. This is double good as bits of grit in the fridge really annoy me.

Comment

^^^^^ so are you going to buy one then?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I think I might just christen my modest old vase, "kale vase"...😂

Soon I shall add, "washed lettuce tupperware" to make a collection of vegetable displaying vessels.

I did just *love* the idea that people were so proud of the celery that there was a special ornate vase to display it in.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X