Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twinkle
    replied
    despite the whole sultanas, mine smells and tastes luscious !!! Thanks again Slooky

Leave a comment:

• HeyWayne
    replied
    Erm, I think I will chop the courgette into smaller chunks for batch two (tomorrow night after I've purchased some more white wine vinegar).

Leave a comment:

• Twinkle
    replied
    oh beggar - I left my sultanas whole

Mind I was going to do the blender thing at the end as I like spreadable chutney for my sarnies... that should get most of them ??

Leave a comment:

• SarzWix
    replied
    We've made this one before, it's nice. We liked it better with unripe tomatoes, which is handy because these are the ones we mostly use in chutney - ripe ones are used for other stuff, and with the sultanas well chopped so they don't do that 'Pfff' thing in your mouth (Ugh!).

Leave a comment:

• rustylady
    replied
    Making lots of chutney, this sounds a good one. I'm running out of jars though. The girls at work think I'm mad - I've got them saving toilet roll "inner tubes" for bean and pea planting, now jars (I though I had plenty)

Leave a comment:

• Twinkle
    replied
    excellent - thanks for that....
    I shall also be chutney-making tomorrow

Leave a comment:

• HeyWayne
    replied
    Fantastic!!!

Now I know what to do with my mammoth courgettes, thank you!

Guess what I'm doing tomorrow.

Leave a comment:

• slooky
    started a topic courgette chutney

courgette chutney

hello all

this recipe is from the River Cottage cookbook under the title River Cottage Chutney it keeps for ages and is a good use of big courgettes. so here goes

1kg Marrow or overgrown courgettes diced
    1kg tomatoes (ripe or unripe)
    500g sultanas
    500g soft brown sugar
    500g apples (either cooking or not too sweet)
    400ml white wine vinegar
    500g Onions chopped
    3 finger chillies chopped finely(optional)
    pinch of salt (personal Pref )

for the spice bag
    12 cloves
    2 tsp coriander
    fresh ginger couple of pieces.

first make up the spice bag by placing the ingredients in an old piece of tea towel or cotton and tying the top with string.

Place all the other ingredients prepared as stated in a large pan or preserving pan.
    Bring to the boil to dissolve the sugar and once boiling reduce to a simmer
    Continue to simmer till the vinegar is pretty much absorbed and the veg is tender approx -3 hours stirring occasionally
    while the chutney is cooking warm some clean jars in a hot oven to sterilise
    Once cooked,discard the spice bag and place the chutney in the jars and cover with lids
    Leave to mature in a dark cool place for 2-3 months label and date once cooled

Enjoy

tip - i have made this recipe several times and at the end of cooking have blitzed it briefly with a hand blender to give a smoother chutney

slooky

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
Working...
X