Presents from the allotment.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presents from the allotment.

I went on a garlic hunt yesterday, while it was raining. A trip around the local garden centres to see what sets they had.
    As you might imagine I sort of went overboard.
    Thinking ahead, and being an eternal optimist, I can imagine that next year I will have a massive crop. I normally grow a decent amount. Anyway, ahead of myself again I was thinking that next year when I plait the garlic up I could maybe wire some of it to a willow or metal circular frame like a wreath, and tuck in twigs of Bay leaves and Rosemary to give as presents at xmas.
    Can any of you more crafty people see this working and what else could I grow this year to put on them?

Dried red cayenne peppers would add a splash of colour.
    Location ... Nottingham

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bones View Post
      Dried red cayenne peppers would add a splash of colour.
      Sounds very good.

Comment

Teasels?
        Twigs of dried sage?

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
          Teasels?
          Twigs of dried sage?
          I have got a couple of sage plants. Can you dry sprigs intact and they will stay whole when they are dry? I don't normally dry my own sage but give it to my sister who dries it above her aga and gives me a jam jar of dried sage back and keeps one for herself.

Comment

Lovely idea!
            Last edited by Nicos; 27-09-2019, 09:49 PM.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Funnily enough, some of my internet ads yesterday were for SR DIY wreath kits. I searched to see what she recommended. The kit apparently comes with an (undisclosed in listing) shopping list. However, when searching, I found she has guides for making several wreaths. For Christmas (https://www.sarahraven.com/articles/...mas-wreath.htm), she recommends:

Zone 1 – the really colourful things

3 small oranges (and the cloves to go with them to make pomanders)
              7-9 mini pumpkins or ornamental gourds (depending on size – get as small as you can)
              5 stems of Chinese lanterns (or orange chillies on a stem available from good florists)
              12 green and red finger chillies
              9 chrysanthemums (added for an evening)

Zone 2 - a lighter mix of ingredients

10 stems of agapanthus (or peony heads)
              5 branches of Spindle seed heads (or callicarpa. Rosehips or sloes)
              5 stems Cyperus or lablab bean seed heads (or sedge or other grasses)

She seems to have guides for various seasonal wreaths.

Comment

I have never tried drying sage myself, but maybe you could ask your sister to try a few and see how it goes? My sage plant is only 9” high so far, so cannot cope with heavy harvesting :-)

Comment

I have never tried drying sage myself, but maybe you could ask your sister to try a few and see how it goes? My sage plant is only 9” high so far, so cannot cope with heavy harvesting :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Chestnut View Post
                    Mine aren't particularly tall but they have really spread. I hack at them with abandon.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X