Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What goes with gooseberries in jam/chutney?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What goes with gooseberries in jam/chutney?

Hi
    I have 2lb gooseberries and many many frozen blackberries from last year. I need to use up b berries as this summers are almost ready.
    I have seen gooseberries with rhubarb or strawberries or even blackcurrants but can’t find them combined with blackberries. Was wondering is this because they just don’t taste good together? Has anyone ever tried to make jam or chutney with this combination and if so, in what proportions?

Thanks
    Ssvy

I'd say take a few of each, mix with a little sugar etc and cook - if you like the result, then no one can dispute it - if you don't like it, then maybe use them separately in crumbles or jams etc ?

Comment

I think it sounds good. Give it a go with a small batch first?

Although Nick's taste test sounds worthy.
      Our England is a garden, and such gardens are not made
      By singing-'Oh how beautiful!" and sitting in the shade,
      While better men than we go out and start their working lives
      At grubbing weeds from gravel paths with broken dinner-knives. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Sweet savory View Post
        ...I have seen gooseberries with rhubarb or strawberries or even blackcurrants but can’t find them combined with blackberries. Was wondering is this because they just don’t taste good together?
        It's most likely because they don't fruit at the same time, gooseberries being early summer and blackberries late summer/autumn. No reason at all you can't mix them. The jam will set a good deal better than blackberries on their own, no need for pectin.
        Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
        Endless wonder.

Comment

Update
          I cooked a small amount of half and half gooseberries and blackberries and discovered they don’t really add anything to each other flavour wise. Although might be OK as a jelly? Will not be trying this combo again although will cook this down to a compote for tomorrow’s breakfast!
          NB my blackberries are a very early variety and look as though they will be ready in the next 2-3 weeks. Thanks
          Ssvy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X