Dwarf French bean glut

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dwarf French bean glut

Hi I have a glut of French beans. I blanched a number of them & froze them in batches, but was really disappointed with them at dinner tonight as they were very watery.

I was wondering if I could pickle my next batch. Has anyone tried? If so please could you describe the method & recommend a pickling solution, either homemade or bought? I'd like to try this tomorrow as we are due lots of rain!

Many thanks,
    Paul
    Last edited by Super Sprout; 25-08-2018, 09:23 PM. Reason: Typos

I tried runner bean chutney last year, but do not recommend it -or certainly not that recipe....
    I am currently testing salting runner beans, but haven’t actually tasted them yet - Suspect it would work just as well with french beans; maybe one of the more experienced grapes can advise us both?

If not, salad nicoise for lunch and french beans with whatever you’re having for dinner - and invite as many friends round for meals as you can!

Comment

I never blanch mine, lay them out on a tray, freeze then bag, taste fresh when defrosted not limp and watery.
      Rob

Comment

Why do you blanch SS? Modern freezers are colder and give much better results from open freezing. If you want to go to the next step, invest in a food vacuum packer
        Last edited by Greenleaves; 26-08-2018, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by robbra View Post
          I never blanch mine, lay them out on a tray, freeze then bag, taste fresh when defrosted not limp and watery.
          Rob
          I started using that method after reading it on the vine instead of blanching and it makes a huge difference to the beans taste and texture
          Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by robbra View Post
            Rob
            Thanks I shall be trying this rather than pickling. Any reason why you wouldn't bag in batches then freeze? Does it not work so well if they're bunched up together? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Greenleaves View Post
              Why do you blanch SS?
              Because I'm inexperienced and don't know any better ��
              I've blanched & frozen broad beans but I guess they can take it as they're more dense. Thanks
              Last edited by Super Sprout; 26-08-2018, 04:39 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

I don’t like green beans that much: I grow them for the seed inside and eat them as kidney/flageolet/butter beans (depending on variety)
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Super Sprout View Post
                  Thanks I shall be trying this rather than pickling. Any reason why you wouldn't bag in batches then freeze? Does it not work so well if they're bunched up together? Thanks
                  Just seen this SS. I freeze them loose otherwise they tend to stick together when frozen. It makes it easier to separate when getting them out of the bag.
                  Rob

Comment

I've frozen individual sized portions then once frozen put them in a bigger bag so an induvidual portion snaps off each time. Doesn't always work though.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                    ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

I have a glut of these too. I’ve been blanching and it’s a pain in the neck. Going to try just freezing them after reading this.

Comment

My beans are never blanched. I sort them take off the tops but not the tails, pop them in a bag and freeze them. I cook them in a steamer. Delicious. Perhaps someone can tell me why they are supposed to be blanched.
                        David

Comment

It's supposed to stop them deteriorating in longterm storage.

Blanching (scalding vegetables in boiling water or steam for a short time) is a must for almost all vegetables to be frozen. It stops enzyme actions which can cause loss of flavor, color and texture. Blanching cleanses the surface of dirt and organisms, brightens the color and helps retard loss of vitamins.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X